Handling very young pet chicks: Yea or Nay?

Oh that is way too adorable! My dog is the same way
gig.gif

Instead of can I hold them, it's can I lick them
tongue.png

_MG_5181.jpg

"Smells like a Chicken...But does it taste like a chicken?" (LOL)

You should definitely hold them a lot! I wish I'd held my first one more when she was a baby, but everyone at school was saying that "if you hold a baby chicken too much, it'll die," so I didn't hold my little chick a lot, and now she's kind of wild.

it is neat to see how they change. Like we just got ours today. they just run like mad from us. In a few days they'll prob not run. so neat to see the transition. our current hens are super friendly too. well, except for one. she runs away. oh well. it is fun to see the kids hauling them around everywhere. evem the 2y old with a big ole chicken aww.

it is neat to see how they change. Like we just got ours today. they just run like mad from us. In a few days they'll prob not run. so neat to see the transition. our current hens are super friendly too. well, except for one. she runs away. oh well. it is fun to see the kids hauling them around everywhere. evem the 2y old with a big ole chicken aww.

lol!

We've got 20 Buff Orpingtons and 6 Cochins and that have been toted around by my 7 year old since they were a few days old. He's been upset with me a little because we finally got them outta the house and into their coup. I fixed the door on the coup so he had a hard time getting into it.
smile.png

Yea for sure! As soon as you can! I handle mine from day 1. Mine aren't pets, so I don't worry about socializing them, but you won't hurt them by handling them early. Of course, they are babies so make sure you aren't playing with them so often that they can't get naps and meals, and make sure you wash your hands and practice good sanitation habits,etc. You know the drill. ;)
Make sure you handle them equally. If you have one scaredy cat, the rest will follow suit (usually) and cower from you, just because the others are acting afraid. Flock mentality and all.
That's not always true though, especially with roosters. I have a few in my brooder that will run right up to your hand while the others run screaming. =P

Back
Top Bottom