Handling young chicks - basic question

sonomachx

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
We will be getting new chicks in a couple weeks. I want them to grow up to be pet birds that our children can handle. I know that frequent handling at a young age will be important, but I also don't want to run the risk of stressing them. How long on average, can a newly hatched chick be kept out of the brooder and away from the heat lamp, food, etc... at a time? My son is only 4 years old, so I won't even consider letting him near the chicks unsupervised (for the chick's safety), but even so, having distinct set limits with regards to handling times would be ideal.

That is a question I would like to know also. We won''t be getting our chicks until May
sad.png
but really want to know just how much they can be handled when they do arrive. Also...how long they will need to stay in the brooder?

I take all my chicks out [5] and put them on a big blanket in the living room. My daughter who is three, knows she has to remain sitting, and can pet but not pick up. We do this several times a day for about ten minutes. I did this last year too - and most of my hens are really kid friendly.

welcome-byc.gif
I had one of my newly hatch chicks out to snuggle last night, she slept on me for 2 hrs w/ no problems. I cupped her in my hands to keep her warm. With young children, I would say that the chick will let you know when it's had enough by struggling & peeping loudly. Good luck with your new babies!

I used to hold the chicks for such a long time cupped in my hands on my bed. We would both fall asleep. I don't advise this because if you fall asleep, and roll over, your going to have one UNhappy chick.possibly hurt.

my daughters are older, 8 and 10, and they take the chicks out several times a day for 30 minutes to 1 hour stretches. Our chicks are 1 week old. We have been handling them in this way, daily, since we got them at 1 day old. As long as your chicks arrive healthy and are thriving, there is no reason why you and your son can't take the chicks out, together, under your supervision, several times a day. After a few days, I would bet they will be jumping up into his lap, on his shoulder, even on his head showing him affection. Ours run out from under the ecoglow when they hear us or see us, and peep/beg to come out, now. We have to make our chicks go to bed! We turn off all the lights and "hide" out of sight so they will go to bed for the night.

our first night with our day old chicks, my daughters had a chick slumber party - our brooder is in our (carpeted) master bathroom - the girls brought in their pillows and blankets and slept next to the brooder like little mother hens.

oh! and, not that I would advocate handling chicks in such a manner, but have you ever watched "chicken factory - how it's made"? it is about what happens at the hatchery from incubation to shipped in the mail, or delivered on trucks ... we had to pick our jaws up off the floor after watching. imho, it's amazing to me they even make it to us alive. They are hardier and more resilient than we imagined.

i have 6 day old chicks and have been taken them out a couple at a time to handle with our 2 small children. Now they just hop on there legs and sit there. Some will peep loudly when they are ready to return home others will just hang out until we put them back. I have noticed our 2 orpington chicks mind the least being held.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom