Hands on hatching and help

Help! I have had nine duck eggs in the incubator. Day 28 was supposed to be on Wednesday. I am a teacher and they are in my classroom. I came to school yesterday to lock them down and found four had pipped. I increased the humidity to around 68% and locked them down. Today (24 hours later) they have progressed but not a lot (see pictures). I am worried their shells are too hard. When do I intervene?

FullSizeRender 44.jpg
FullSizeRender 45.jpg
FullSizeRender 46.jpg
IMG_4012.jpg

Help! I have had nine duck eggs in the incubator. Day 28 was supposed to be on Wednesday. I am a teacher and they are in my classroom. I came to school yesterday to lock them down and found four had pipped. I increased the humidity to around 68% and locked them down. Today (24 hours later) they have progressed but not a lot (see pictures). I am worried their shells are too hard. When do I intervene?

View attachment 1116967 View attachment 1116968 View attachment 1116969 View attachment 1116970
Ducks hatch over a longer time frame from chickens. Two days is normal. You should have your first chicks out tomorrow and then more through Wednesday.

They are right on Schedule!

View attachment 1116967 View attachment 1116968 View attachment 1116969 View attachment 1116970

Ducks hatch over a longer time frame from chickens. Two days is normal. You should have your first chicks out tomorrow and then more through Wednesday.

They are right on Schedule!

x2!

Thank you! We hatched chickens in the spring and had sticky chick issues so we don't want a repeat and are nervous.
It sounds like all will be well with the ducks. The temperature control must have been better for this hatch.

Keep up the good work!

Please post pictures when they hatch

Ok, two have hatched and the third is zipping and trying to join the others. I am worried about the fourth. He hasn't done anything more since this morning. It looks like he couldn't crack the shell.
View attachment 1117124
It is early still.

Don't worry now but keep an eye on that egg. The pips are fairly high so you should be fine with him not hitting a vein.

Back
Top Bottom