Hands on hatching and help

I already went ahead and helped him out!! He was definitely stuck. A very large chick and the membrane had just started to dry on him. I'm a little worried he may have something wrong with him as I could see through part of his skin and see his organs working, but he is moving around and peeping well now. As I was cleaning him up to be done, another one just randomly popped out of an egg!!

This is the assist baby. We had no bleeding, and no yolk as I peeled eggshell back. It went so perfectly!
I had the same panic with mine. Thought it was deformed. It’s stomach looked huge and purple but it turned out it was full of yolk. I left it and when to bed crying. Had nightmares all night that I had to cull it because it was my mistake. Sent husband down to check and there was a sweet bundle of fluff. Helping the other to hatch which I got to see, a perfect hatch. Give it time. I’m sure it will be fine. My wee one didn’t get up on its legs but this morning it’s running around. I’m so happy and massively relieved. I hope yours is ok.

Not sure what that goo there is, I just cleaned off the hatching goo from his bum. Will they poo this early after hatching or is something horrible gone wrong? My son helped assist this guy, I'd hate to loose him...

Attachments

• 20190818_001558.jpg
    20190818_001558.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 7
Not sure what that goo there is, I just cleaned off the hatching goo from his bum. Will they poo this early after hatching or is something horrible gone wrong? My son helped assist this guy, I'd hate to loose him...
I think that’s afterbirth. I had goo attached to mine too and that’s what concerned me. But then I remembered a chick last hatch had a string of dried up stuff hanging of her for a couple days. The one I assisted had a fair bit of gunk but by morning it was solid ball at the end of the umbilical cord. There was a dried spot of maybe a teeny bit of yolk which I snipped of but left the umbilical cord. Interestingly when I put the empty shell of the last easy hatch in bin I saw this gunk in the shell. Best thing is to leave it recover in the incubator and once it fluffs up and dries it will look a whole lot different. All that being said last time we did have two that weren’t right but you know pretty much because the difference between a happy chick and an unhappy one is huge. We had a sharp and painful learning curve. Incubating is hard. Looking forward to seeing your fluffy wee bundle soon

Here's the first one that hatched in like 30 minutes. I had to move this one to the brooder because he was picking on the assist baby

Attachments

• 20190817_234300.jpg
    20190817_234300.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190817_235059.jpg
    20190817_235059.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190817_234317.jpg
    20190817_234317.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 6
These are the new babies. The black one hatched outta nowhere while inward cleaning up the yellow one I assisted

Attachments

• 15661103438954180460283485477790.jpg
    15661103438954180460283485477790.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 6
  • 15661103742602194514603015573496.jpg
    15661103742602194514603015573496.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I had the same panic with mine. Thought it was deformed. It’s stomach looked huge and purple but it turned out it was full of yolk. I left it and when to bed crying. Had nightmares all night that I had to cull it because it was my mistake. Sent husband down to check and there was a sweet bundle of fluff. Helping the other to hatch which I got to see, a perfect hatch. Give it time. I’m sure it will be fine. My wee one didn’t get up on its legs but this morning it’s running around. I’m so happy and massively relieved. I hope yours is ok.
So glad your baby was ok!! Hopefully mine will be too. He seems like a fighter! My hubby just got up from bed grumpy, wondering what the heck I was doing. I told him I had babies hatching and I couldn't leave them. He said oh, and went back to bed. It's almost 1am here:lau

Is his little foot messed up? Seems like that one outside toe wants to curl in. These eggs came from aging hens:hmm

Attachments

• 20190818_004623.jpg
    20190818_004623.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 7
So glad your baby was ok!! Hopefully mine will be too. He seems like a fighter! My hubby just got up from bed grumpy, wondering what the heck I was doing. I told him I had babies hatching and I couldn't leave them. He said oh, and went back to bed. It's almost 1am here:lau
Aw bless I get that. But my hubby is just as involved but he was away during my drama. So he sent me out yesterday while he sat and watched the perfectly perfect untraumatic hatch of egg no 3 No 1 did me favour if hatching in the night. I woke up at 5am to find her just wriggling out the shell. I feel my eggcetion will be my secret favourite!

Last edited:
Aw bless I get that. But my happy is just as involved but he was away during my drama. So he sent me out yesterday while he sat and watched the perfectly perfect untraumatic hatch of egg no 3 No 1 did me favour if hatching in the night. I woke up at 5am to find her just wriggling out the shell. I feel my eggcetion will be my secret favourite!
:) that's too cute! He was involved earlier today, but when its bedtime, its bedtime. Weve also got a 4month old who doesnt want to let anyone sleep, except himself:barnie. My older son and I got to see the first baby hatch out. I recorded a bunch of short clips of that one. Then he assisted me with the assist hatch, by holding the light and asking a lot of questions:lau. He went to bed and didnt get to see number 3. I didnt either. Just all of a sudden heard peeping as I'm cleaning off the assist chick

Back
Top Bottom