Hands on hatching and help

Blood vessels have shrunk a lot since opening the membrane. It was opening its mouth a lot now it’s not. The membrane is getting hard and I’m assuming shrink wrapped. Anything g else I need to do or just wait and see?

It’s still breathing.

All you can do is wait and see.

It didn’t make it. It was fully formed, no deformities, and the yolk was absorbed. All the ones I had die in the shell were malpositioned.

Oh I'm so sorry the little one didn't make it. I know you did everything you could. 😢 :hugs

Shipped eggs are tough, I've also found they are more likely to have malpositioned babies and late quitters. I'm so glad 9 of the 15 that made it to lockdown did hatch though.

Oh I'm so sorry the little one didn't make it. I know you did everything you could. 😢 :hugs

Shipped eggs are tough, I've also found they are more likely to have malpositioned babies and late quitters. I'm so glad 9 of the 15 that made it to lockdown did hatch though.
Thanks for that. Yes we have 9 super cute babies with a great variety. We are excited to have that many.

When do you make a safety hole if you think a chick will need help? I dropped an egg a few days ago😭 I sealed the crack with wax, I’m not 100% sure if the chick is still developing, quail eggs so it’s hard to know for sure but he’s going to lockdown with the others now. It was my fault he cracked so I want to give him every chance possible but I feel if he makes it he may struggle to get out because of the wax. What should I do?

When do you make a safety hole if you think a chick will need help? I dropped an egg a few days ago😭 I sealed the crack with wax, I’m not 100% sure if the chick is still developing, quail eggs so it’s hard to know for sure but he’s going to lockdown with the others now. It was my fault he cracked so I want to give him every chance possible but I feel if he makes it he may struggle to get out because of the wax. What should I do?
I don't know if anyone gave you this link and there are too many pages to go back through to look but maybe this can help?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

For a few months @RubyNala97 and I have talked about having a thread for Hands on Hatchers to come together and for help for those who want to be more involved or don't want to accept the "Never help a chick" theory. People have different methods of hatching, and that's ok. When you find something that works for you, you do it. Don't worry about what other's views are, as long as your method is working- that is what is important. This thread is meant for us hands on people. A place to come together and talk, exchange our "hands on" methods, or seek help in assisting or just to see how our methods really do work for us. We aren't a thread to debate the differences for hands on/hands off, there's a thread for that. We are strictly for people that want to experience hatching in it's entirety w/out being literally yelled at because you are doing it different or because you are being hands on. OH no you opened your incubator at hatch??? That's ok, here we understand and will help anyone who needs it regardless of wether you did something we wouldn't. One of the greatest and most knowledgeable things is candling, and you shouldn't be afraid to do it.

A little about myself: I use an old LG incubator with fan attatchement, and I have awesome hatches. My last was 100%. I prefer a low humidity incubation method, and a high hatch humidity. I am VERY hands on. I open my incubator frequently during hatch and I have NEVER lost a chick that has pipped or started zipping. I seldom have post hatch mortality and my chicks are very healthy with no leg problems. And I am more than willing to assist my chicks if I feel it is neccessary. Why am I saying this? Because these are the things that a lot of hands off hatchers will swear to you will happen if you are not hands off. I respect a hands off hatchers philospohies and that's great for them. But I hate the fact that some would condem and put down those of us that don't share their philosophy. So if you are looking for a place to share your experiences and excitment in being hands on, without the worry of being scolded or threatened you won't be helped in a time of need, feel free to jump in and inroduce yourselves. Tell us a little about your methods and share pics of your flocks and chicks.
I love this! My first hatch ever was assisted, my beautiful duck Dougie. It was possibly the most stressful day of my life, waiting, and waiting dreading assisting. But I did, on Christmas day! I took off the shell over the air cell after she had failed to complete her zip. She popped out straight away, so eager to stand up, right away, no resting, nothing, totally absorbed and ready for the world, she soiled herself in the egg, and had bruised the entire shell.
She kept dropping onto her back and kicking wildly, it was stressful but I trusted my instincts. My first duckling, my first hatch!
Within hours, she finally straightened out and got her balance. And today she is a healthy, beautiful young duck. Strong, and full of personality! Incredibly loving bird.

I will always agree with hands on hatching! But it is incredibly important to act at the right time.

when are they going into lockdown? Before putting into lockdown it would be a good idea to candle the egg carefully and see if he is still alive. Look for movement, and veins.
Also DuckyDonna suggested a great article, you should definitely check it out!

when are they going into lockdown? Before putting into lockdown it would be a good idea to candle the egg carefully and see if he is still alive. Look for movement, and veins.
Also DuckyDonna suggested a great article, you should definitely check it out!
They went in to lockdown last night. I did candle the egg and he does seem to be developing, I can just see veins near the air sac the rest of the egg is dark. I did read the article, Just not too sure when is too early and when is too late to make a safety hole, hopefully I’ll have a better idea on what’s going on when they start pipping.

They went in to lockdown last night. I did candle the egg and he does seem to be developing, I can just see veins near the air sac the rest of the egg is dark. I did read the article, Just not too sure when is too early and when is too late to make a safety hole, hopefully I’ll have a better idea on what’s going on when they start pipping.
safety holes should be made 18-24 hours after the chick has internally pipped if there is no progress. After 24 hours, the chick is at risk of suffocating, from what others have said, 30+ hours with no external pip and no safety hole is often fatal. At that point the chick likely won't survive without assistance, if it is still alive.
You'll have to keep an eye on this one because of the candle wax, it may make it harder for him to hatch. If baby is able to, once he begins to zip, you *may* have to help by removing any wax in the way. But take it step by step! Hopefully this little one will make it!

Back
Top Bottom