Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Need alittle help here. I have shipped SWH hatching. So far 3 have hatched with help. 4 had pipped yesterday am. Early this morning 3 started to zip. But stopped only 1/4 of the way around. After 3 hours I opened a area large enough to see inside. There feet are above/around their heads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those 3 are doing great. A 4th has hatched on its own but still has unabsorbed yolk. Do I leave it in bator or put it in a cup in the brooder??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 3rd one to hatch had a lot of goo in bottom of shell. What is that goo??
    [​IMG]

Thanks. Linda

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] How sweet!

Welcome to the thread!!!

[​IMG]

Did you make a decision yet?

You can play chicks chirping/peeping videos by the bator once they start pipping, and that usually keeps them motivated and calling back when they hear it. I use youtube videos.

[​IMG]

LOL Mine is Cherry Pepsi.

The malepositioned one wasn't quite ready. That's why the membrane is so bloody. I think he would have had to be an assist considering the maleposition position he was in, but when you see that kind of bloody membrane it's better to give them a little more time.
    They are adorable.
    The yolk one I'd put in a cup lined with damp paper towel and you can put it in the brooder under the heat or back in the bator if you have room.
    It looks like a lot of egg goo and membrane to me. In a chick that is ready to hatch, you won't see that much "left overs".
    Congrats!

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Not trying to contradict what AmyLynn said, but Sarkchick, I just had a convo a couple days ago with caesargirl about goo in duck eggs... I quoted my posts so you can read them and hopefully it helps you too...

That awful goo has been an ongoing issue with duck eggs lately, I've been talking with many hatchers, all different types of ducks, and all over the US about it... a little like you saw isn't too bad...

As for the little bit of unabsorbed yolk with the last hatcher, it doesn't look like a big sac so I'd just leave it in the bator since you've got the shelf liner down... :)

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Could the time of year, since you are saying it's ongoing lately, have anything to do with it? I know a lot of us are spread over the world, but it seems the US on the average are seeing some unseasonal weather. Could that be playing a part. I based my hypothesis on the way the membrane looked around the first chick.

5. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

Thank you. The last one with the yolk hatched on its own. And I did put it in a cup in the brooder. They all have their feet above their heads. And , yes I know, I probably got alittle worried on the first 3. Helped tooooooo much. I've just never seen feet above the head. Their poor bills were stuck between a wing and a foot.
    Thank you for this thread. Love it. Could not do this without you guys helping out us novices.
    Linda

6. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

Thanks Rayvn. But while I was sending my SOS. The ling pulled loose from the shell and was bleeding everywhere. Got bleeding stopped. I went ahead and put it in a cup in the brooder. It seems alittle weak. Gave it some nutradrench and save-a-chick. Oh, also put ointment where cord was.

Thanks for joining the thread. And for your input.
    Linda

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Oh, I agree it was a bit early, but that goo woulda still been there is all I was talking about... and depending on the amount of goo, it's sometimes a juggle between being too early and waiting to long that they breath any into their lungs... if it gets there, they don't survive... :(

Lately as in for the last year... really started last spring, happens throughout the seasons and many different types of bators... dunno what it is, but even many years longtime hatchers have run into it and had never seen it before... :confused:

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Ah, that changes things! Poor little one... hope it makes a full recovery! :fl

And thank you... :D

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's weird.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay..
    Helmet - check
    Gauntlets - check
    Anti -anxiety medication - check
    Sanitized hands - check
    More anti-anxiety medication - check
    Little baskets (in assorted cheery colors) - check
    Catheter and syringe - check
    One more dose of anti-anxiety medication...um, wait a second....okay, check
    Colored water - check
    Can of liquid courage - eckceh
    Last sode of anti scaredy cat meds - yeah

I'm goin' in....if I ain't back in 10 minutes, send reenfce...um, reincorfements.....ah, help

Time to turn off the turner and put all my eggs in mulitple baskest....muplital banskes....little colored boxes

Don't try to stop me....stop me, please...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by