Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Got my :fl for you too!!! :D

WVDuckchick has hatched quail... I hatch Call ducks quite regularly, lol... lots of good help and plenty of support here...

AmyLynn is super for chicken help...

And I think we've got many different types of bators between us, lol...

1 person likes this.
  2. BlazeInTexas

BlazeInTexas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2016
    Hunt, Texas
    Well....on advice for future hatches I was able to obtain a Little Giant Still Air incubator thinking I could transfer the eggs to Lock them down there to avoid anyone becoming "shrink wrapped". On my way home my young son called to let me know three eggs were pipping and one little one had already thrust her head out but that there was blood on the membrane. Now....hours later, the anxious (chick) one hasn't moved and I can't see it breathing anymore and the other two haven't widened their pip holes any. I fired up the new 'bator just in case and now am paralyzed as whether to remove the remaining 20 eggs to the Still Air or leave everything be and sit on my hands...
    If the first chick is deceased when do I remove it and if I'm to open the lid should info ahead and transfer remaining unpipped eggs at that point?
    ....so much for any sleep....

3. BlazeInTexas

Jan 6, 2016
    Hunt, Texas

Darn. I thought I was replying to you but the quote didn't 'take' and it became a new post I guess....

4. BlazeInTexas

Jan 6, 2016
    Hunt, Texas

I heard lots of faint cheeping earlier but things seem to be a lot quieter now. Even the cats have lost interest....

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Welcome! You are in for some fun with all those different things going on! Did you set them all at the same time, or did you make it so they are all due around the same time? Best of luck to you. Hope you will stick around and share this adventure with us!

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quick update on mine:

I put 9 golden sebright eggs in the hatcher - 7 have hatched, one more had pipped, last one I think is DIS

4 silver duckwing OEGBs - all 4 hatched!

2 lavender orpingtons - have pipped internally, but not external yet but its still day 21.

So I am extremely happy this morning. :celebrate

Did have one semi-assist for a slow poke that stopped zipping halfway. The initial spot dried out on him so I vaselined it up, cracked on around for him a bit, snapped the shell, and he finally pushed his way out. Exhausted little fella, but happy and healthy this morning.

1 person likes this.
  7. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Awesome!!

8. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm pretty sure this one is gone, but if it is, it was after drawdown, so I got a couple good pics of it, just for illustration of how they draw down before pipping. I couldn't find an internal pip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA - I put it back in the bator, just in case its alive, but I didn't see any movement.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

Lol your so silly

10. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    My choice @AmyLyn