Hands on hatching and help

I'm totally going to buy this for my next round. I just need to figure out when the next round will be. And I need eggs first. But I'm not really sure I want shipped eggs this time. I have a hankering to get some whyndott bantams.
If you can find what you want locally, you soooo want to go locally. I waited two years after starting to hatch before I decided to try shipped eggs and thankfully they were from Ruby and she does an awesome job packing and I had 12/14 that made it to lockdown actually hatch.

Ok tomorrow is day 18 for my first hatch in the brinsea octagon 20. Do you guys lay anything down in the bottom to help prevent slipping? If so what do you all use? Thanks. :)
Just wanted to mention that some people have a hard time getting lockdown humidity up in a Brinsea Octo, especially if you live in a dry climate or in the winter with a furnace running. I fill the wells, then put in a double layer of paper towels and push them into the wells, then fill them up again. Make sure you don't cover the bottom vents in the corners.
. Not sure where you live or if you'll need it, But just thought I'd post a pic just in case.

Keep getting so behind, sorry... too many threads, lol...

Just wanted to show off some Silkies hatched from Ruby... despite us having an awful PO hub between us, 4 hatched out great...

Adorable! Congrats!

I'd give it till the end of day 23 and then if there's no internal pip I'd go in through the air cell just to verify no movement and then do the eggtopsy.

:thumbsup

You'll get it. The 1588 is a good bator, and once you tweak the humidity and all, you should have better results. Shipped eggs will always be a risk though.

I highly suggest a hygrometer for guidance, but I put more stock in watching the air cells to really know how to adjust the hudmidity.

Sorry to hear about the pony. Hope she pulls through. Congrats on the eggs!

Thanks!
1f600.png

Ok tomorrow is day 18 for my first hatch in the brinsea octagon 20. Do you guys lay anything down in the bottom to help prevent slipping? If so what do you all use? Thanks. :)

Shelf liner here too. Like Amylynn, I get mine at Dollar Tree for $1 and wash and reuse.

Sorry about your pony. :(
I love all your birds, will be anxious to see how this hatch comes out, especially those cochins. And I missed the bonus round, but glad you won!
Yep, what Amy said :D
X2

Thanks!
1f600.png
I think I'll set more Calico Cochin eggs next week too. One of my self-blues started laying yesterday! They're in with the Calicos for now (my other lavenders are only 10 weeks old). I can't tell her eggs from the others so I'm sure some of hers will end up in the bator too lol. Those will be black chicks split for lavender.
1f600.png

Oh, like others mentioned, the shelf liner works great. I pre wash it alone and then toss it in a load of laundry. After 3 hatches, it still looks good as new.

Great idea!! I never thought to try that. I've been washing mine in the sink and then folding it and giving it a soak in bleach & water to disinfect it.

Yep. I think I bought dollar general for like $5. Sizes may vary, so I'd suggest measuring your incubator bottom to see how wide is needed. Mines about an inch short from both sides :/

Also, I have washed it and reused it, before I bought a new roll. Super hot water with a little antibacterial soap. Reused several times with no problem.
I'm a total germaphobe so I think I'll just throw mine away!:gig

Back
Top Bottom