Hands on hatching and help

It doesn't smell. I can see the chick moving in there. Sorry for the bad lighting- I've never candled before
1f601.png

Lol I'm still learning too. No worries lol. Try holding the light on the side of the egg where you can see the chick moving. Don't point it in its eye though lol. Then take a pic. Can you see any veining or how big the chick is?

It doesn't smell. I can see the chick moving in there. Sorry for the bad lighting- I've never candled before
1f601.png

I'm almost thinking I'm seeing a shadow in the air cell. Did you see a moving shadow in the air cell when you candled? If so that chick is pipped internally and will hatch probably in the next day or so.

Possibly. There seems to be a very definite line on the egg of darkness vs air cell, but then then in the area I thought was the air cell I can see something shadow like that occasionally moves. I'm so new to this. So possibly in the last few days? I've just been reading about not turning and locking down the incubator at day 18 or 19 so I don't want to mess with the egg at that point.

That's what it looks like- a shadow. Not as dark as the the rest of the egg but definitely a shadowy movement on what k thought was the air cell

Amy, I never read that book----well being honest I have never read any book on chickens/hatching/etc. That's a interesting thought!!! I am wondering if I stop turning on day 14---instead of day 18, 19 sometimes If I could increase my hatch Percentage???
It was actually off the Cobb chart, not a book. The first hatch I did this on was my pullet hatch last year. I didn't have a single malpo chick and it was my first 100% hatch. The only time I've had a malpo since switching is with these green eggs from my nn/ee- the daughter hen, adn I just decided that for now I am not even going to try with her eggs anymore. They are very large and though the shell seems thick very porous. Did two clutches with them in and both clutch just her eggs had malpos. Now, I had previously read, on Sally's hatching guide in the very begining of my hatching and in small print that it is not necessary to turn eggs past day 14, once they are fully developed and can move themselves. @slordaz was having issues with high occurances of malpositioned chicks and high death rates, (which he is in a high altitude,) so I told him what I had started doing. He tried it and said his malpo #s had gone significantly down. Now, I can't say that there's any certainty to the fact, but you figure if it's not a neccessity to turn at day 14,then it's not going to hurt to try it.

I did a hatch with shipped silkies from Ruby, and we all know how well shipped does, (of course she's an excellent seller/packer), and not a single one of them was malpositioned. 12/14 from lockdown hatched.

Lol I'm still learning too. No worries lol. Try holding the light on the side of the egg where you can see the chick moving. Don't point it in its eye though lol. Then take a pic. Can you see any veining or how big the chick is?
The best way is through the air cell. Once they are that full, generally if you shine the light through the side, you aren't going to see much of anything unless it's at the side of the air cell.

Are u watching a shadow move inside the air cell in the top?

I'm almost thinking I'm seeing a shadow in the air cell. Did you see a moving shadow in the air cell when you candled? If so that chick is pipped internally and will hatch probably in the next day or so.
I was wondering the same thing. The way the one side dips looks like a small draw down to me.

That's what it looks like- a shadow. Not as dark as the the rest of the egg but definitely a shadowy movement on what k thought was the air cell
I would put them into lockdown. I', with the other gals. From the pics, I would say they aren't far from hatching.

It was actually off the Cobb chart, not a book. The first hatch I did this on was my pullet hatch last year. I didn't have a single malpo chick and it was my first 100% hatch.

I was wondering the same thing. The way the one side dips looks like a small draw down to me.

I would put them into lockdown. I', with the other gals. From the pics, I would say they aren't far from hatching.
Never heard of the Cobb chart either. A couple years back I set about 25 eggs in my Styrofoam and 18 days later I went to un-plug and remove the turner----the cord was still wrapped up, never plugged it in so I just left them in the turner and 7 chicks hatched----maybe we Just Turn To Much!!!

Never heard of the Cobb chart either. A couple years back I set about 25 eggs in my Styrofoam and 18 days later I went to un-plug and remove the turner----the cord was still wrapped up, never plugged it in so I just left them in the turner and 7 chicks hatched----maybe we Just Turn To Much!!!
I really have wondered about this myself. I started out using the automatic turner in my old (borrowed, if you can call it that since I still have it, two years later...lol) Little Giant 9200. My first hatch was pretty much a bust because I bought a thermometer for it and never checked it. Never in a million years would I think a brand new thermometer would be 6 degrees off!!! Ended up with one survivor hatched day 24. After that I bought 2 other thermometers and made sure they were accurate. And I did a lot of reading on understanding humidity. (I also had my humidity high because of the info I'd read both online and in the book my sister gave me.) I decided to adapt the low humidity methods. Started having great hatches. Then I did a hatch that filled the turner. Prior to this I always kept my eggs back away from the corner that the turner was in because it gave off so much heat and that corner would stay quite a bit warmer. But with the full turner I couldn't. The three eggs closest the turner had excellerated growth and then quit by day 5. So I decided to just take them out and try hand turning. I found I liked hand turning so I continued with it and my hatch rates just kept climbing. I hand turn 3xs a day sometimes I get in 5, but not often. I really think that "more is better" might not be the case. I know people are always saying that the broodies are constantly turning the eggs, but from what I witnessed from the broody, and no you can't see under them to really know, but the "turning" they do is slight adjustments. It's not like they make sure that the egg is turned to the other side. It's small adjustments done more frequently. So in my logic, they aren't going from side to side 5-9 times a day. I really wonder if we do turn too much. 3xs a day has seemed to be a good number for me.

This is the Cobb's chart I use:

Back
Top Bottom