Hands on hatching and help

I remember someone here had said that if you are going to assist a chick to hatch you need to be prepared to cull if nessesary. I am afraid I have run into one of those situations. I had a chick make an external pip and then no progress for too long so I assisted, we'll turns out its a Sissor beak with only one eye.
20170730_201819-1.jpg
20170730_201834-1.jpg
20170730_201847-1.jpg

Hi, Please help! I heard that you can put them in a warm water bath under a heat lamp in order to try to get the stuck membrane off but my question is..... can you do this while they still have the yolk sac attached because I know it will rupture as soon as you try to pick him/her up so what should I do? The poor thing can hardly move because its stiff & dried on, He/she's been like this all day! The humidity is at 65 and the temp is 98.5

I have had some luck in the past with a sopping wet paper towel. I would say wrap the baby in the wet town and let it wait in the bator, unless it can absorb the yolk without rupturing it I am afraid it has little chance. The hardest part now is to be patient to see if it will absorb the yolk.

My little scissor beak had a simular problem not quote as bad with the sticky part, I was able to wipe most of that off shortly after it emerged from the egg so it didn't become hard, but it stayed in the bator with a wet paper towel for almost 24 hours maybe? Granted it is deformed but spunky..... so time will tell.

I remember someone here had said that if you are going to assist a chick to hatch you need to be prepared to cull if nessesary. I am afraid I have run into one of those situations. I had a chick make an external pip and then no progress for too long so I assisted, we'll turns out its a Sissor beak with only one eye. View attachment 1096035View attachment 1096036 View attachment 1096038
So sorry to hear that. Personally I would have to cull. With development that off I'd be afraid of there being more internally, especially brain wise not developed correctly.

Hi, Please help! I heard that you can put them in a warm water bath under a heat lamp in order to try to get the stuck membrane off but my question is..... can you do this while they still have the yolk sac attached because I know it will rupture as soon as you try to pick him/her up so what should I do? The poor thing can hardly move because its stiff & dried on, He/she's been like this all day! The humidity is at 65 and the temp is 98.5
Chicks with unabsorbed yolk should be handled as little as possible to give time to absorb without rupturing. I put mine in a mug with a damp paper towel in the bottom to keep it moist. The less movement there is the better chances of keeping it from rupturing. Not being able to move may be a good thing. He can be washed up after. Personally I would try to get humidity up 70-75%.

So sorry to hear that. Personally I would have to cull. With development that off I'd be afraid of there being more internally, especially brain wise not developed correctly.

Chicks with unabsorbed yolk should be handled as little as possible to give time to absorb without rupturing. I put mine in a mug with a damp paper towel in the bottom to keep it moist. The less movement there is the better chances of keeping it from rupturing. Not being able to move may be a good thing. He can be washed up after. Personally I would try to get humidity up 70-75%.

Good Morning! All is well & worked out fine! We actually combined both the warm bath and then oil (we used sunflower because it's all we had) methods. I was afraid to use a tweezers because they move around and twitch so much so we used a super soft rabbit hair/angora brush we had and here he/she is this morning!
DSCF0145.JPG

Back
Top Bottom