Hands on hatching and help

PLEASE HELP

I have a goose egg incubating at Day 23 and an hour ago I saw some very small weeping coming from the egg. No smell, no blood just fluid. The fetus has been moving and shown healthy growth until now. Please help me save it.

I have orpington eggs on day 21, they internally pipped over 24 hours ago so I made a little safety hole. When would I need to intervene? They are shipped eggs and some of the shadowing looks a bit odd as if they are malpositioned, at least they got their beaks into the air cell though. Would I need to extend the hole if there is no further progress within 24 hours?

I have orpington eggs on day 21, they internally pipped over 24 hours ago so I made a little safety hole. When would I need to intervene? They are shipped eggs and some of the shadowing looks a bit odd as if they are malpositioned, at least they got their beaks into the air cell though. Would I need to extend the hole if there is no further progress within 24 hours?
Have you read the article on assisted hatching? I give mine 18 hours from safety hole to further help. Make sure you have some coconut oil on hand, and very gently peel some of the shell and outer membrane away around the safety hole. Make sure to gently rub some oil on the membrane so it doesn't shrink wrap, and I'd also bung a paper towel in the incubator to keep the humidity at around 75%.

You'll see I commented above for assistance a few days ago - the advice I got was SPOT on - as long as they have an air supply, they're OK, there's no need to rush them out so make sure you're leaving long periods between each action you take 😊

Hi, this is my first post. I am hatching my first peafowl. The eggs were delivered, along with our other package to a neighbor's house and sat on her porch for 2 days since we were not expecting them until mid-April to August - they came in early April and she did not see the boxes until she was mowing. Sitting on top of our other package, which was right-side up, the post office had the eggs upside down :( 3 of the 6 eggs were still viable for hatch.

Our first egg, pipped on the side, away from the airhole and after a safety hole and 42 hours of waiting from first pip, I decided to go in - - - probably not quite as long as I should have waited but I was going with this post, my gut, and the urgency of the chirps. I could not find the head or beak and felt like this peachick was mal-positioned. I studied the position chart and think that maybe its head was in the small end.

I was using the coconut oil for moisture and to see the veins, trying to wait until veins were dry, but the peachick was clearly struggling and chirping in distress; it had no opposing shell to push back on. I found a very dry strip of membrane near the original large pip and decided to at least get its head free. The head seemed to be really buried. After several tries and waiting a couple hours between each try I was able to clear its head from the membrane without damaging any veins. Instead of tearing at the membrane more, I slid it to the side.

I couldn't find any yolk or tell if it was still absorbing, so I left its butt in the small remaining part of the shell. It pushed itself out of this, and there was no yolk at all. We had our first peachick for my MIL in time for mother's day tomorrow! Three hours later, we had its sibling that had a normal 15-hour hatch, and we finally have number 3 that had a normal and very quick 4.5-hour hatch.

This entire process was worrisome, exciting, and rewarding. Having never interfered with any hatched chicken eggs from home or even interrupted a lockdown, I was nervous. I referred to the original message in this post through the hatching. I may not have done it all perfectly or minded the rules exactly, but this post gave me the confidence and know-how to do what needed to be done to free this very healthy beautiful peachick from a very bad position.

I'll always think twice before getting eggs delivered in the mail and will always try to see if there is something closer available even if its a little bit of a drive. Thank you so much to the creators of this post. Another hatch success to your credit!!!

Last edited:
Can someone please advise.
Between 3pm yesterday and 2pm today my ducks pipped, but they've retracted back into the shell, not all the way but I don't know if I should be worried. Put a safety hole in them (i have 4) and hoping they'll be ok.

So I have been following this thread religiously since I found it. I have since hatched over 30 chicks and 12 ducks. I have some good pics I wanted to share with those that could appreciate them. These are from my Polish Chicken it didn't make it even with help. If you look it was malpositioned. It had been very active up until yesterday which was day 22. No internal pip so I opened up the are cell and manually pipped him. He took some big breaths and even chirped at me. But veins were still big and red. So I left him over night and this morning he was DIS. His feet were over is head covering his nares. I really wish my Polish hens were laying eggs but they are currently on strike. I had really hoped these guys would make it. But fertility was 50/50 on the only 2 eggs I got from them.

Attachments

• 20210516_213548.jpg
    20210516_213548.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210516_213555.jpg
    20210516_213555.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 5
These are my chicken hatch, well one of them, chicken math ya know...Chickens are just Barnyard mix but you can see the windows I made of the aircells. My hatch rates have been poor. I finally figured out why. My one neighbor free ranges her flock and only gives them scratch twice a day. No layer feed nada. So I'm sure poor flock nutrition isn't helping my hatch rate. Where my other neighbor gave me hatching eggs and hers hatched with a higher percentage. She feeds layena and mealworm treats. So flock health and nutrition play a big role in my hatch rate.

Attachments

• 20210420_185609.jpg
    20210420_185609.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 5
Hiya, thank you for posting this thread!
This is my first time hatching chicks and has happened because the mumma hen has already hatched 7 eggs which are 3 or 4 days older and the one that hatched yesterday couldn't keep up!
So I took the remaining 2 eggs from her nest box and brought them inside with yesterday's chick.
I have used a heated plant tray as that's all I had available, temperature was good overnight and this morning one of the eggs has pipped externally, the chick is moving around, chirping and Tapping! 😁
Humidity is now just above 60% temperature in the high 20's°C (was mid 30's°C overnight).
Now playing the waiting game to see if it can hatch on its own!
Just wanted to put some background in, just in case I need some support later on...
I have read the article about assisted hatching and we are standing by to help if required!
Yesterday's chick has been speaking to the chick in the egg, it would be really good for them to be companions!
🙏🏽 💜 🙏🏽 💜 🙏🏽
🌸 ✨ 💙 ✨ 🌸
🐥🐣

Attachments

• IMAG3931.jpg
    IMAG3931.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG3927.jpg
    IMAG3927.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 2
Hiya, thank you for posting this thread!
This is my first time hatching chicks and has happened because the mumma hen has already hatched 7 eggs which are 3 or 4 days older and the one that hatched yesterday couldn't keep up!
So I took the remaining 2 eggs from her nest box and brought them inside with yesterday's chick.
I have used a heated plant tray as that's all I had available, temperature was good overnight and this morning one of the eggs has pipped externally, the chick is moving around, chirping and Tapping! 😁
Humidity is now just above 60% temperature in the high 20's°C (was mid 30's°C overnight).
Now playing the waiting game to see if it can hatch on its own!
Just wanted to put some background in, just in case I need some support later on...
I have read the article about assisted hatching and we are standing by to help if required!
Yesterday's chick has been speaking to the chick in the egg, it would be really good for them to be companions!
🙏🏽 💜 🙏🏽 💜 🙏🏽
🌸 ✨ 💙 ✨ 🌸
🐥🐣
That’s great! Just give it time now. It’s good that it can hear the one chick. It will keep it motivated to hatch. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom