Hands on hatching and help

I just had a little guy who I assisted because his membrane looked pretty dry. He’d been pipped for 24 hours and I was worried he was going to get “shrink wrapped”. I hatched the top, and then he pushed himself out! But his yolk sac was still not fully absorbed.
I put him back in his shell bottom and he’s in a cup. But how long do I leave him in there?
He’s peeping and moving around. He keeps falling asleep and then rearranging. No other chicks have hatched yet. He’s a Muscovy and it’s day 31. I really feel like I failed him. Now I see he’s still yawning etc. My heart is breaking and just want to give him the best shot. Help! Do I leave him in the cup overnight? Do I take him out and let him rest laying down?

That’s great! Just give it time now. It’s good that it can hear the one chick. It will keep it motivated to hatch. Good luck!

THANK YOU!
Hatched on Friday evening, no additional assistance required...
So 2 little ones for hand-rearing
☯️💛Yin and ☯️🖤 Yang
🌸 ✨ 💙 ✨ 🌸

Attachments

• IMAG3933.jpg
    IMAG3933.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG3928.jpg
    IMAG3928.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 3
Ok, need help making the call to just leave them or finish hatching for them. I am attaching a video, kinda embarrassed of my "peeping" skills (so just a small chuckled allowed) lol, but I wanted to show you their reactions to hearing me.

Tough call.
It's been an hour since you posted, any changes since then?
They all look like they are breathing so I, personally, would leave them to get out on their own.
They were getting less and less vocal/active over the last 6 hours so I decided to help. Man did they get loud once the membrane loosened up a little. Three of the four are out but seem to have the umbilical cord attached. No yolk or blood, just a really tiny thread I'm afraid to tug on. The fourth is mostly out but I wasn't quite as confident so giving it a rest for a few.

Sounds like you made a good call.
Thank you, I was NOT prepared for this AT ALL!!!! I have a DIY incubator and a tote for a brooder. This was supposed to happen under Mama Hen :barnie

Last two are drying and will hopefully join the other four shortly. They are the most weak, probably exhausted. Poor guys (or girls if I'm lucky!)

I have a question I can’t seem to find an answer for. I am incubating some shipped eggs that are on day 25. The first egg externally pipped around 9:30AM PT, it is 2:50PM now. The other eggs were moving yesterday morning when I candled, looking like they were maybe pecking at the shell? It looked like fast fluttering.
I am a bit concerned about the other 5. Should I poke safety holes? How do I know if I should interfere? These chicks have never made a sound or rocked at all, but I am certain 4 of the 6 were moving vigorously yesterday morning when I candled.

ps: I candled because I was ready to give up on the hatch and toss them. I have never had eggs hatch later than day 23.

Back
Top Bottom