Hands on hatching and help

Not sure because she was laying on different eggs? They have been hatching about 24 hours apart up till now. The two others are doing great! I will try and figure out how to post a new post lol

We try to keep an eye on this thread for people that need help :)

It can be up to 24 hours before a chick will externally pip after it internally pips, so seven hours isn't too much cause to worry. But, you can put a small safety hole in if you want - as long as it's done correctly, it won't hurt anything, even if the chick doesn't really need it.

HELP! There is this one chick egg that has pipped for almost 24 hours but is not making any move to hatch out. I can see her beak and she is breathing, but I am kindof thinking of opening the bator and wetting the membrane around the hole/make the hole bigger. the humidity is at 75% and 5 out of 7 eggs are hatched. Do I just open the bator, pull out the chick, wet the membrane and/or make hole bigger? I won't shrink wrap it right? I am so confused right now, and worried. Please help!

HELP! There is this one chick egg that has pipped for almost 24 hours but is not making any move to hatch out. I can see her beak and she is breathing, but I am kindof thinking of opening the bator and wetting the membrane around the hole/make the hole bigger. the humidity is at 75% and 5 out of 7 eggs are hatched. Do I just open the bator, pull out the chick, wet the membrane and/or make hole bigger? I won't shrink wrap it right? I am so confused right now, and worried. Please help!
Did it pip thru the aircell?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Ok I made the hole bigger on both eggs and one still had some veins not fully gone so I set her back and the other seemed fine. they were both peeping so thats good right?

Ok I made the hole bigger on both eggs and one still had some veins not fully gone so I set her back and the other seemed fine. they were both peeping so thats good right?
I'd consider peeping a good sign - you know they're breathing. :)

Did you moisten the exposed membranes with coconut oil, like the assisted hatching article that @aart linked to suggested? It'll help you be able to identify vessels that are still active, as well as keeping the membrane flexible around the chick where it's exposed to the air.

Good luck!

Yes I did the coconut oil on the membrane but she started bleeding a little from a vein, but I held pressure there for a few seconds and all was well. The one that had nothing wrong with it, just maybe stuck, she hatched about an hour ago so YAY! But the one with the vein bleeding - will she hatch fine, or do I need to her out? She pipped more than 24 hours ago and she hasn't made any motion to get out, other than her opening her mouth and closing it, like she is still digesting her yolk sac. She also is the last to have pipped, but the other eggs in the bator haven't pipped any and day 21 just started. Do I candle eggs for viability? Then make a pip hole for them and try to get them out? Thanks in advance

Yes I did the coconut oil on the membrane but she started bleeding a little from a vein, but I held pressure there for a few seconds and all was well. The one that had nothing wrong with it, just maybe stuck, she hatched about an hour ago so YAY! But the one with the vein bleeding - will she hatch fine, or do I need to her out? She pipped more than 24 hours ago and she hasn't made any motion to get out, other than her opening her mouth and closing it, like she is still digesting her yolk sac. She also is the last to have pipped, but the other eggs in the bator haven't pipped any and day 21 just started. Do I candle eggs for viability? Then make a pip hole for them and try to get them out? Thanks in advance
If you are seeing blood STOP. The chick is not yet ready to hatch let them for a day or two and perhaps check again. Again if you see blood, stop and wait again. continue to keep the membrane coated with coconut oil to prevent shrink wrap.

On day 23 of hatching shipped eggs. 9 of 15 that went into lockdown have hatched. I have had two pip at the wrong end and die in the shell. I have one egg left that appeared to have life with candling but wasn’t really moving. I could just see breathing?? I put a safety hole in the air cell end and found there to still be lots of blood vessels in the membrane. I put the egg back in the bator. So my question is should I try to cover the hole or just leave it? The humidity is at 79% the membrane is white. Do I need to coat it with coconut oil? I can still she the chick breathing and moving every now and then. Any advice on where to go from here? I did not feel a beak at the membrane and it does have a saddle cell. I have also read the guide for assisted hatching and know it’s too soon to do anything because of the blood vessels

Attachments

• 6D2B925C-66AC-400B-9681-C39759D6DF43.jpeg
    6D2B925C-66AC-400B-9681-C39759D6DF43.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom