Hanging plant basket feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peacefulbean, Jul 29, 2013.

1. peacefulbean

peacefulbean In the Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think it was on Fresh Eggs Daily that I saw this idea awhile back. I just tried it out today, and my girls seemed to think it was a stellar idea. I just hung a hanging plant basket we had laying around from the hardware cloth on our coop and tossed some salad greens and weeds in there.

[​IMG]

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Songster

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I do the same thing and the girls love it! I hang mine in the coop and it's a great way to keep them occupied especially if it's pouring rain and they don't want to go outside. I'll take a long cucumber, slice it in half, and lay it on the bottom with the seeds towards the outside and fill the rest of it with garden greens and add a tomato. They have a blast!

Kinda' like a chicken pinata they way they get it swinging back and forth while trying to get what's inside!

[​IMG]

3. dawnpel

dawnpel Songster

Jun 26, 2013
    Sidney, Maine
    What a GREAT idea!! I am gonna have to try this out. I think my girls would love this. Thank for the tip!

4. marktoo

marktoo Songster

I hang my fermented feed from an old rusty three tier fruit basket that I broke down to a single basket. I just set a bowl of food in the basket every morning.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

5. sumrfun65

sumrfun65 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Oregon
    Great idea!! I am going to try this.

6. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    This is a great idea. Going to have to try it. Beats putting my greens in a shoe box size plastic tote.

7. Ciqala

Ciqala Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

8. Crista

Crista Songster

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If a hanging basket isn't available......an onion bag works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by