Hannibal the Pecking Hen

i had a chicken with the same problem....she attacked me once because i was paying attention to the other chickens. also, when i was feeding her, she pecked me in the eye. curse the eye pain from that chicken!
yippiechickie.gif

Are you sure she's not just looking for attention? My DH kept telling me that one of the pullets keeps attacking him. Turns out she liked him and wanted to be picked up. She pecks my shoes or pants till I pick her up, and my DH as well.

Quote:
my roo thats blind now,,, used to play with me,, lol,, he'd BITE me untill i grabbed him and yanked his beak,, he would run to me to do it,, and if he came to me and i ignored him,,,, BAMMMm ,, he would bite me so hard,,, hahaha,, so i used to go in his pen, walk over grab his beak,, shake him, and then feed everyone,,, haha,, or just go over and pick him up and scratch him,,,,,thats how he got named "handheld",, haha

This worked well with my roos, might work with the hen.
Go in the pen for about 15 minutes twice a day. Do not let the bird do anything without your permission. No pecking, no eating, no mounting, no water, no leaving a designated area, like 4 x 4 big. Just swish the bird away each time he tries to do one of these things. Eventually, he'll just stand there, and look like he's waiting for permission. Then end that session. Everyday the time gets shorter and shorter till he stops and waits. My wayward roos are huggable now.

Back
Top Bottom