Happy Africa Day!

Bantimna

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
South Africa
Africa Day is the annual commemoration on May 25 of the 1963 founding of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU). On this day, leaders of 30 of the 32 independent African states signed a founding charter in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. In 1991, the OAU established the African Economic Community, and in 2002 the OAU established its own successor, the African Union. However, the name and date of Africa Day has been retained as a celebration of African unity.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Cool - how is the day celebrated? Wait, I'll Google it. Looks like Ireland is having a week-long celebration, with "African music, dance, film, history, educational activities, sport and art ". Hey, this is happening all over the world! Thanks for telling us about it.

Found a lovely song for the day: "God Bless Africa ".

Quote:
Oh, it wasn't such a big thing here in South Africa, a public holiday and the announcement over the news....suppose it was a Africa day.
wink.png

I figured it must not be a huge deal in SA. I have friends there. I hear all kinds of other rantings on Facebook, but nothing about Africa day! And I'm sure Putuma's wife would have posted some pics of the kids celebrating if there had been a celebration. lol

Back
Top Bottom