Happy Chanukah!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Dec 11, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As those of you who celebrate it know, tonight is the first night of Chanukah and I wanted to say Happy Chanukah to all of you! We will be having latkes (both traditional potato and cheese), at dinner tonight and sufganiyot for breakfast tomorrow. What Chanukah foods are you going to be having?

ETA: Feel free to share recipes!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Quote:Happy Hanukkah! I am not Jewish, but would be interested in your recipe's to try if that is okay?.

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Of course it's ok! Making traditional potato ones doesn't take a recipe. I just peel and grate some potatoes, add some grated onion, egg, salt and pepper until it is the consistency I want, then form into patties and fry until golden brown on both sides. Sometimes I add some matzah meal, but I often have company over that can't have gluten, so I leave the matzah meal out.

This is the recipe I am planning to use for the cheese latkes:

Cheese Latkes

1/2 cup soft cream cheese (4 ounces)
    2 eggs; separated
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    pinch of cinnamon, to taste
    Mix cream cheese with egg yolks, then add sugar and cottage cheese. Add flour slowly and mix well. Beat egg-whites until stiff, and fold into cheese mixture. Heat oil in pan and drop mixture in by spoonfuls. Fry until brown, and flip. Serve with sour cream or apple sauce. Makes 30 latkes.

Sufganiyot are doughnuts, I don't have my recipe at hand right now, but you can use any doughnut recipe really.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Blessings to you and your family during this holy and ancient celebration. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I was gonna tell YOU happy Hanukkah. Is that the same thing? [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Shabbot Shalom & Happy Chanukah too! [​IMG]

We celebrate both Chanukah and Christmas at my home. I am always especially moved by the special prayer said on the first night of Chanukah when lighting the menorah, when we pray "Blessed art Thou oh Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who has granted us life, and sustenance, and permitted us to reach this season." I think of all the events of the past year since last Chanukah, and am grateful to the Lord for seeing us through to another year.
    We make our latkes with duck eggs which make them taste even better! [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yes, praise to God from both sides of the spectrum - Jewish and Baptist. May your holy time be blessed.

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:The shehechiyanu is my favorite prayer. For those who don't know, it is said at the beginning of each holiday and at any major life event. It is used to thank G-d for allowing us to reach that time in our lives. Truly a remarkable thing!

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh latkas! (that's what we call them- I think it's the Polish spelling)

I make them with baby red potatoes. You have to be more vigilant with draining them, but it's worth it!

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Happy Hanukkah to all of you!

(are you having jelly donuts too? This will be my first year to make them on my own. My aunt was always in charge of them but, sadly, she's gone this year. so I'm gonna try!)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by