Happy chick in egg.

DeannaA

Songster
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Tuscaloosa, AL
There is a chick that pipped 16 hours ago. I cleared the cracked pieces from aroung the beak. I lightly mist the egg with warm water every 4 hours. 2 other chicks hatched quickly last night when this one pipped. I'm only worried because the chick has made no attempt to crack the egg since pipping. How long should I wait before helping? I don't want to hurt it. It doesn't seem stressed. It cheaps with the other chicks. It seems content to live in the egg. I wouldn't mind but there is no bathroom in there. :)

The other chicks play with it like it's a real chick. 'Shhhh! pretend like you don't notice the shell, he's really shy.' Such non-judgemental chicks. I am one proud mom.

This is my shy chick.

after at least 24 hours I would break the shell all the way around like they would themselves and pop the top off but that's my opinion

That's what I was thinking. I cleared a bit more. Just the area of the air cell. None of the membrane. The other chicks are helping or trying to eat him.

I've cleared away the air sac area. Other than her beak she is still indide the membrane. Since she' breathing fine, I'm leaving it for awhile longer. I'm still spraying with warn water. Is there anything I should watch for?

I removed the shell, leaving the membrane. The membrane was really thick and parts had dried out and were sticking. I kept a warm wet paper towel wrapped around the chick and stop every few minutes to put her inside the chick warmer. The I used the forcepts to remove the membrane a little at a time. Adding moisture as I went along. And of course, the most important part, I sang to the chick. It took about 45 minute. I hope the last one hatches properly.

Operating table.

Back
Top Bottom