Happy Days... NOT

I am so sorry for the loss of your chickens. I have had days(and weeks) when everything has gone wrong and I am sure that I seemed like a self centered witch to those who had to be around me. I think that you are hurting and overwhelmed by your situation. I don't have any practical advice about what is going on with your chickens but I am sending you a long distance hug.

Quote:
smile.png
Its not that long distance, Im from NE too!
Thanks for the advice everyone, I sent my mom on a Corid 9.6% run after work today.
Court tomorrow is really getting to me... but I really just want to get it over with.

Well if your birds are fertile so be it
as I did notice some infertility
and I am glad I don't buy your eggs
I never liked to eat eggs under two weeks after worming

as for the pumpkin seed if it works for you go for it
I have a friend who did the pumpkin seed thing with chickens in a college study and it did not work
so it is up to the person who uses it

as for fertility
any one knows that a healthy bird is a better breeding specimen
so I was always more prone to worming way before I needed the eggs
so go for it if it works for you do what you find to work for you

I just try and help people with what I know is right
Any time a bird is given medication it lowers the sperm count
till the bird is healthier

even when the bird is wormy it lowers the sperm count

and yes we did hatch many many thousands of birds
as we also culled them so we only kept the ones that did not have defects or disqualifications

maybe people don't do it now but I do know many purebred breeders who hatch a lot of birds each yr as they are show people and only want the best of their hatchlings each yr

hopefully you all will keep reading and learning
I know I do
By the way the article on coccidiosis from the person from Queensland was superb thanks for that
More later on the next go around

Okay, good news today!!!

THE CORID FINALLY GOT HERE!!!!!
smile.png

The dosage instructions on it are for calves, so can anyone tell me the ones for poultry?

I havent lost any more chicks, and still havent seen any bloody poop, so all is good.

Thanks everyone!

hugs.gif
sorry for your difficult situation. loss is never easy and is frustrating.
you are in my thoughts and i wish for you and your family and pets LOVE, PEACE, & HAPPINESS ALWAYS
love.gif

hang in there it will be ok

i almost gave up on my chickens so many times
im in ca
if you have to go to court in ca. let me know i may be able to help
what is the problem with your silkie

Oh yeah, and since this has pretty much turned out to be the thread about why I think my life is falling apart I have another update.

Our trip to florida is canceled for next week.
sad.png

My mom broke her nose and cheek bone because of my horse and is having surgery next Wednesday.

Oh well... I guess that gives me more time with the chickies!

Quote:
From what I understand is that once cocci is thoroughly treated it is out of the system completely. It is a parasite, so if it is dead, it is dead. Kinda like roundworms, but nastier as far as symptoms go. Cocci is part of the Cryptosporidium family, which all animals (including people) are susceptible to getting. However, I have always hear that it is treatable if caught early enough. Bloody stools is a common symptoms, but not always. I had a chick with coccidiosis who did not have blood in her stool, but has the tucked up look, sleeping all the time, fluffed up with drooping wings. Other in the flock can get it from pecking where droppings (wild bird or chickens) are that are infected with cocci.

I agree with Glenda, that it is worth a shot in trying to treat for cocci. It can't hurt to give it a shot. However, I wouldstill recommend posting all other symptoms to see if they ring a bell with anyone.

I haven't read any replies to this, but Cocci is never completely eradicated from an area. Cocci will remain in the vicinity through the poultry gut. It is when the levels of cocci (poopy environment, bad housing, wet surroundings, etc.) that the cocci imbalance in the environment happens. When that happens, the cocci in the gut increases and the imbalance in the gut of the bird effects the nutrition in the feed. The cocci absorb the nutrients rather than the bird.

How did your chickens ever get?

the coccidiosis is always there on coccidiosis diseased soil as Rod said
if very bad coccidiosis use 2 tsp of corid for 5 days then 1 tsp for 2 more days
and they got better

I always liked to put some in wet mash as the sick chicks would eat the medicated wet mash and get started on the medication
1 qts dry crumbles
2 qts water
in the water add 1 tsp of corid or sulmet which ever you are using
feed this two mornings at rate of 2 tsp per chick

then put the corid in the waterer also

if using sulmet put it in the waterer ans 1/2 pkg of red jello to a gallon of water
the jello sweetens the sulmet so they will drink it

and also feed wet mash probiotic

1 qt of dry crumbles
1-1/2 qts of milk any kind
1/4 cup of yoguart

as this will restore the gut flora

also when done with the medication
in their wateer put 2 tbsp of ACV to gallon of wter
helps the gut flora balance out the damage the medication did to the gut
any other questions email me PM

Back
Top Bottom