Happy I found you!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EGGplant54, Jul 24, 2016.

1. EGGplant54

EGGplant54 New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Hi! I'm new to raising chickens, although my husband's grandfather had a farm and he's more familiar with them. We have 6 Rhode Island Red hens, about 20 weeks old now, and a Rooster, not sure what breed, Oscar is about 16 to 18 weeks old and weighs 11lbs! Unfortunately, it appears he tore the gastrocnemius tendon in both legs, vet says probably because of his weight. We're not interested in sending him across the Rainbow bridge, he's otherwise happy and healthy loves his girls and they are very protective of him. Dr. Zap suggested finding a lower calorie food for him, especially since the girls are moving on to layer mash. She hasn't been able to find anything on line or speaking to her peers, yet. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear your roo is having leg trouble. You could post in our feeding and watering your flock section for help with low calorie feed ideas ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-amp-watering-your-flock
    I hope you are able to get him something that can help his weight.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Good site to check out. Good luck with that big boy.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome to BYC, EGGplant. Great to have you aboard. You will love this friendly and informative site!

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi, [​IMG] I'm not sure of the calorie content of different feeds, have you considered mixing your own? Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Most of the feeds I can think of now are fairly high in calories… Please do start a thread in the Feeding & Watering section, let's see what our members suggest.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    By any chance could your rooster be a Cornish x? They are meat birds, have explosive growth and are usually ready to process very early. Otherwise their legs and organs fail them. Cornish x are white birds and spend most of their time eating.

Do you have a photo of him?

9. EGGplant54

EGGplant54 New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome! No, pretty sure Oscar isn't a Cornish X, he's gold and red with blue/black tail and wing feathers [​IMG] I'll get that thread going in watering and feeding. My sister is going to help me finale a type of sling to give him some support at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by