Happy spring from eastern Canada :)

mrsflood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hello all a newbie here.
I am still on the fence about getting chickens, with my only concern being hubby. I'm sure he would warm up to having hens, I just hate having to play this silly game. LOL
I have checked our city by laws and all is well. I plan on approaching my neighbours and letting them know of my plans. It's the considerate thing to do.
One question; is holly a hazardous plant to hens? I've not been able to locate an answer. Where I plan on putting the coop has a jolly bush and the last thing I want to do is make the girls unwell.
I appreciate all of the advice on this site.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Amazingly many spouses seem to really enjoy the chickens they were reluctant to have (or even actively opposing)

Sorry, not sure about holly.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, hubbies can be a bit cranky when starting up with poultry. I had to work over mine to get started. LOL But once you get going, they settle right down. The hubby that is. LOL

As far as I know, Holly is poisonous to chickens. But I am not 100% sure. When in doubt, dig it up. I took out lots of plants that I just couldn't take the chances they would eat. Especially bulbs. Very poisonous.

Good luck with your new flock! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Chickens do seem to bring around family members who weren't sure about having them in the first place, if the cute chicks don't do the trick, the fresh eggs usually will.
I wouldn't have Holly in a run, where bored chickens might eat a lot of it. We do have it in the yard (chickens free range) and they have never bothered it.

Thanks, everyone!
I was given the holly bushes as a Mother's Day gift 9 years ago. The garden centre said we should get 2 in order for them to produce berries, a male and female, so we did. And....they've never produced anything but leaves lol.
I'll be calling the feed store to place the order for the chicks on Saturday. Good Friday has everything closed up here. And then I'll get the gear for the brooding set up on the weekend as well. We've 2 daughters and they're rather excited about it.
The breed is mixed, which it think is a great start. Here's hoping they're winter hardy. It gets very, VERY cold up here in the Canadian Maritimes. I worry about that. That and predators.

Back
Top Bottom