happy to be here

maritymoon

Hatching
7 Years
May 19, 2012
I have always wanted a small, egg-laying flock (troupe? herd?) of chickens in my rural backyard. I was planning on reading up on it and such this spring/summer and getting some next spring. I was talked into chickens THIS spring by my 11 yr old daughter ("Mummy, pleeeease?) ... and so on a trip to the Blue Seal store to find literature, ended up leaving with eight 8 day old chicks. I was told they were all female, and that four were RIRs and the other four were Barred Rocks.

Two of the supposed Barred Rocks had whitish splotches on their heads, and two had no splotches. Now that they are a month old, I am beginning to suspect the two with splotches may be male black sex links. Which would be a tragedy as they were named "girly" names, and the two all black ones are females (which were named "boy" names). Of the RIRs, I suspect one is male as the comb has started to redden. My question is, how many roos is too many for a flock of 8? I would hate to have too many, and as they have become pets, I hate to have to put them in the freezer.

I know... a long story you have all probably heard before, but I haven't ever had chickens, and wasn't sure (still am not sure) what I was doing! Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! I have a roo named "Heide". Last time I tried sexing a chick
roll.png

Hopefully they'll turn out to be girls!

Hello and :welcome

If you want some help identifying the breeds of your chicks, you can post their pictures up on here. It's recommended that for a small flock like yours you only have one rooster.

Don't hesitate to ask any quesitons you might have, and enjoy the site :D

Back
Top Bottom