1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy to find

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by avdpas77, Aug 23, 2016.

1. avdpas77

avdpas77 New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    I was extremely happy to find that my chickens have a great appetite for Japanese beetles. I knew they loved grasshoppers and a lot of other insects, but I figured Japanese beetles must have a bad taste or something, because I haven't seen a lot of birds eating them, and as prolific as they have become in the Midwest I would have expected birds to be attracted to them like crows to a field of newly harvested corn.

So, if you have a patch of weeds out back that you can let your chickens into....they appreciate the beetles and will be glad to have them. I first noticed this when I saw my chickens pecking at yellow roses in the yard. They had never bothered the pink or red roses and I was a bit surprised. I chased them away and then realized there were beetles on the yellow roses, but not on the others.

Of course, chasing a chicken away from something that attracts them is about as useless as spitting into the wind. I watched them come back, and while they were getting some of the petals, it was the beetles they were after.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My mother is overrun with Japanese beetles, I'm overrun with chickens. I prefer the chickens.

3. pamperedamber

pamperedamber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2015
    Riverside, Ca
    My chickens are loving the Beetles as well. They are great hunters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by