Happy to find

avdpas77

Hatching
Mar 12, 2016
I was extremely happy to find that my chickens have a great appetite for Japanese beetles. I knew they loved grasshoppers and a lot of other insects, but I figured Japanese beetles must have a bad taste or something, because I haven't seen a lot of birds eating them, and as prolific as they have become in the Midwest I would have expected birds to be attracted to them like crows to a field of newly harvested corn.

So, if you have a patch of weeds out back that you can let your chickens into....they appreciate the beetles and will be glad to have them. I first noticed this when I saw my chickens pecking at yellow roses in the yard. They had never bothered the pink or red roses and I was a bit surprised. I chased them away and then realized there were beetles on the yellow roses, but not on the others.

Of course, chasing a chicken away from something that attracts them is about as useless as spitting into the wind. I watched them come back, and while they were getting some of the petals, it was the beetles they were after.

Back
Top Bottom