Harassed in Rochester NY

Excellent responses so far and I concur.

The only thing I would add is PUBLICITY, PUBLICITY, PUBLICITY -- Facebook, Twitter, local radio and TV station interviews, talking to other legal chicken owners in your area, etc.

Good luck. It would be such poetic justice to finally get this resolved, be outside enjoying the view of your flock -- and have that nosy neighbor walk by...
big_smile.png

I ask Larry (for that is the cranky neighbor) if he would like to meet the chicks every time he walks by. He never answer, and quickly walks away. It gives me perverse pleasure.

Thanks for all the responses. Planning on openly taping my conversation with the police licensing people.

Got two calls from the chief of police office yesterday. They agreed that I didn't owe any fees and said our license is approved and in the mail. Yeah!

Then today, get a call from the neighborhood association representative saying that someone called in and complained about the smell. I'm thinking the city might be getting just as frustrated as I am. Thoughts on submitting an article about backyard chickens to local newspapers to raise awareness of their awesomeness. Thought, ideas for the letter?

Quote:
I second the notion - to get it in writing - not just your permit but written confirmation that everything has been seen and approved by the city etc. It shows due diligence and gives you a readily accessible legal document in addition to your permit.

Good luck. Having lousy neighbours sucks.

There ya go ! Be a positive educating people to their benefit of having chickens around . They do a fabulous job of bug control & make you breakfast. After all raising chickens today ain't like when my grandparents did it . It is so much cleaner, the coops rock they are so nice & colorful. Good luck on your journey may you enjoy it as much as I have now that most of the troublemakers are about to be silenced. They are great little creatures .

A friend of mine got cited for a structure supposedly on her property that was allegedly built without the proper permits. The building in question wasn't even on her property. It was three lots over. Caused all sorts of problems and took months to resolve. She finally went down to the agency involved and insisted the person in charge accompany her out to her property and show her in person where the illegal structure was or ever had been. Of course he couldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom