Harassed in Rochester NY

Quote:
Ask them just what the alleged odor is supposed to be. Especially if you don't even have any chickens yet. Ask them to come out and help you identify it. Tell them you want to be sure and get it taken care of before the chicks arrive. Once I kept getting hassled about my buck goats and their smell. Now bucks are, er, aromatic, during the breeding season, but these bucks were far enough away from any houses they shouldn't have been a problem to anyone. Turned out the odor was from a leaking septic tank. The one belonging to the neighbor who was doing all the complaining. Drainage from the septic tank was oozing across the public road. County wasn't happy. Neither was the neighbor after he got the citations and fines from the county. Of course I have no idea who alerted the county health department to a possible problem.........

I've contacted the local paper and two news stations to see if they want to run a piece on the joys of backyard chickens. I'll be inviting the neighborhood association lady over to meet the girls as soon as she returns my call.

Thanks to everybody for your kind works and helpful suggestions.

Call the Mayor's office...You will get to speak to someone. Explain the situation, and ask if their employee's are truly that incompetent. Tell them you pay your taxes, and expect city worker's to know what they are doing. Be a Biatch in a nice way. They will stop hassling you. I had a similar situation involving an at home business permit.... They stopped bothering me.

Good luck!

Not sure if the above two people realize they are responding to a post from a couple of years ago. I remember this one and still wonder how it worked out for the OP. Any ideas?

You know, these people are just IDIOTS!
somad.gif
WHAT IS WRONG WITH LITTLE CHICKENS!!! I mean, dogs are legal and they are louder then roosters! and the stupid three chicken law upsets me
sad.png
Anyways sorry for resurrecting a thread (
he.gif
) but I want to know how it went!

I know this thread is a few yrs old but i am living the same life as you lol! i don't know who keeps complaining but one of my neighbors are and i am also in rochester, ny. First it was a complaint that we were raising chickens. not that they were noisy or stinky or anything else. just that we were raising them. the second was to complain that we had a rooster. which we did but got rid of. the complaint was filed 4 days after we got rid of him. LOL! the third came today in the form of a complaint that we did not have proper building permits for our coop. i looked into it before i built and we did not need one for the size we were building. the letter stated that an inspection by the city took place on monday however my husband and i were home all day as well as our kids. no one came by. even if one of us left, the other was still home. no one came. this is ridiculous and I'm seriously ready to put a sign up that reads my chickens are legal GET A LIFE!

Back
Top Bottom