Harassed in Texas. Help? (update with pics on page 2)

AmyLM

Songster
8 Years
Dec 28, 2011
Buckley washington
I have neighbors from H***. They have had the code inspectors AND the animal cruelty inspectors out on us twice now. They have harassed us for EVERYTHING we do on our property. now... they are going after our chickens.

Twice the inspectors have been out... and TWICE they left with nothing but complements for us saying there are NO violations and that the neighbors are now saying the chickens are a nuisance.... as in Oder.

Well.. the last inspector asked us if we ran out and cleaned the coop before he got there because there was no oder. We told him no.. that we clean it every week and remove and throw away ALL the shavings every two weeks.

Needless to say... the first inspector told us that we were well within our rights to put up a fence. So today.. we are!
Its costing us over $6,000 to put it up! But... the code inspector just left today (after the neighbor spent the morning yelling at us and the guys doing the fence).

The code guy told us that the only thing the can complain about now is neucense complaints about oder... which he didn't find any... AND if I try to sell eggs (which had been my plan) that they could say we were in violation of business laws and needed inspections and stuff.

SOOO... we are thinking.. OK lets beat him to the punch! HOW do I get the inspections, the testing, and everything else in Texas??? We are willing to pay for the testing ext on the birds.

We are outside of city limits.

Last edited:
love it when folks from town want to move to the country and and still have the H.O.A mind set. at least the inspectors were able to see that you are doing it right and your neighbors just being a angry fellow. (Edited for content)

Does anyone know WHO I have to contact for the testing and what certification thing I need to get?

I don't have a huge amount of birds or anything. And how often do I need to do the testing? How much foes it run.

If you are only selling a limited amount of eggs, you dont' have to worry about inspections, etc. If you have like 500 birds and are selling a lot, then you do. I'm sure no one here knows about commercial chicken operations USDA inspections though.

I know there is a state law or statute about that. I think it's under a certain amount, but not sure what that amount is. Not all that helpful, I know, but maybe you can google it. I know for me, just selling the eggs from a dozen hens from my home poses no risks of being against the law, even if they lay 4 a day each! lol.

What amazes me is how much a few people can sour an entire neighborhood, or even a city council in some cases. No matter where you go, there's always one (or a few).

Years ago, my next door neighbor was this way -- They were the first family in the 'hood (1969), and I run a care home for developmentally disabled adults. Well heck, sometimes she would call them twice weekly, and for the most mundane of things, like one guy hollering at another, ya know, the "leave me alone" kinda stuff, from when kids get on each others nerves.. I guess they (the local Police) got tired of her, because one time she called some eleven years ago (that was the last time she ever called), and they were hit with a huge fine as well as getting cited -- See, their son used to have a "habit" of collecting highway and road signs, and when the officer was here the last time, he noted it, and cited them.

Point (I think) is that usually the dog that barks the loudest is at times the one with something to hide. I generally defer to my elders, and since that time we have gotten along swimmingly. I just always did my best to make sure everything on my end was "good to go", and never engaged the battle axe, I suspect she was just one of those unhappy sorts that fits the "misery loves company" mantra.

I take her eggs twice monthly to this day, and even though she's not my favorite person, it's no skin off my back. I'll kill 'em with kindness 'til the bitter end. Her husband on the other hand (god rest his soul) was completely the opposite, a real farmboy who taught me almost everything I know about gardening.

Well we are now the proud owners of a *very expensive* 6 foot high ceder fence that spans one entire side of our 2 acre farm. *LOL*

We can hear our lovely neighbor grumbling but as of yet.. haven't had code people/humane society show up again... YET. Am I expecting it? Yep. Why? Cause hes just that way.

We were well within our rights to put up a fence but what I really didn't plan on... was just how much my stress level was going to drop after the last board was in place!

I actually enjoyed working in my garden and being out in the barn for really the first time since we moved here.... its sad that I never realized just how stressed out his constant watching of everything I did effected me.

Talked to a neighbor on another side... she said she was hoping that we didn't fence her out too because she LIKES the chickens ;) hehehe I told her that we would do it before we move but that will be years off and she said it was ok. *phew* Already told her that she would be getting the first dozen eggs when they start laying because lets face it... any neighbor that LIKES a rooster crowing is one you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom