Harching eggs

tipsy terry

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
Help, i am trying to get my cochan to hatch eggs. They sit on them for a little over two weeks then the eggs disappear. I welcome any thoughts. I dont see any signs of predators in the coop.

:welcome!

If the eggs are just vanishing into thin air I would suspect you definitely have a predator taking them. My immediate guess would be a snake if there are no egg remains left since the snake will eat them whole and not leave a mess. Another suspect would be ravens. I have a few that will go right into my coop and snag the eggs out of the nests whole. They don't leave any signs of eating the eggs either.

Next time you have a broody can you set her up in a dog crate or something similar that no snakes would be able to get into? If the eggs still disappear you will know then that she is eating them, but when chickens eat eggs there is usually evidence left behind since they break them open to do it, so I really suspect you have a snake or other predator.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom