Hard, black growth - what is it?

DrewKoala

Hatching
Oct 27, 2020
Hi, our chicken has been lethargic with reduced eating and drinking, reduced droppings, stands away from the flock. For the past several days, we have separated her from the flock. Her tail had been down but it has perked up since being separated, warmed up and given vitamins. She still seems interested in eating, drinking, but in much smaller quantities and tires easily. Upon further inspection, I found what looks and feels like a hard, black tumor attached to the skin on her back. It's solidly attached to her and causes her discomfort when I touch it. Any suggestions for what this might be and how to treat it?

Attachments

• Moonlight 1 (2).jpg
    Moonlight 1 (2).jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Moonlight 2 (2).jpg
    Moonlight 2 (2).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 15
I would towel her up tight with this exposed and pick at it a bit. If it bleeds, its probably a tumor of some sort. If it peels and picks off, it may be dried pus from an old injury or ingrown feather.

TwoCrows, thank you for the recommendation. I will give that a try.
If it crusts off, be prepared with rubbing alcohol, iodine or some sort of saline solution. If you can it needs to be cleaned out down to this skin. If this is infected you might start the bird on Amoxicillin or Penicillin too.

But if this thing bleeds, you need to just leave it alone, tumors need to be surgically removed.

TwoCrows, again thank you for the additional recommendations. I have the things you listed to clean it. Can I get Amoxicillin or Penicillin for chickens online or do I have to have a local vet?

TwoCrows, again thank you for the additional recommendations. I have the things you listed to clean it. Can I get Amoxicillin or Penicillin for chickens online or do I have to have a local vet?
Twin Cities Poultry carries a few different types of antibiotics for poultry. Here is a link to their powdered Amoxicillin put in the drinking water. (They also carry capsules as well)

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1196

Use sterile instruments to dig around in this, make sure your hands are clean or use latex gloves. If you have any triple antibiotic cream (without pain killers) you can apply this to any open infected wounds.

Back
Top Bottom