Hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pickled eggs, Feb 23, 2008.

1. pickled eggs

pickled eggs New Egg

Feb 23, 2008
    Idaho
    One of my favorite snacks is pickled eggs with a beer. My friend has some RIR and says that they make lousy hard boiled eggs. Is this true? Seems strange to me. Might it be what he is feeding them? What breeds produce nice eggs to hard boil? Any thoughts or suggestions? I would also like to try other pickled egg recipes too, if you have any to share. Thanks

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My barred rock eggs are easy to peel.

My pickled egg recipe is easy and simple

vinegar
    salt
    garlic
    onions
    and beets
    water

add vinegar in a bowl with a couple cloves of garlic and about 1/4 cup of onions. Add in the beet water with some beets. salt to taste and add you harboiled eggs. if the vinegar is way to strong you can water it down as much as you like.

I do it all by taste. everyone has there own taste. more beet juice if you want darker eggs. Let them sit in the cold for a week then enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    This topic has gotten some attention here.

Fresh eggs are hard to peel. Poke a hole with a pin in the round
    end of the egg.

Steaming the eggs work best and make them so much easier to peel.

I love hard boiled eggs and we eat them from all our birds, including RIR's.
    I can't tell the difference in taste.

Feed does make a difference. I just talked to someone who fed his chickens
    a lot of strawberries. His daughter is allergic to them and had a reaction
    when eating the chicken meat. This may be true with eggs.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    what does there diet consist of?

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have RIR's and I never noticed that the hard boiled eggs were lousy, I'll have to pay really close attention now and see if there is a difference! [​IMG]
    thanks for pickled recipe

6. I have RIR an i think their eggs are great. To boil fresh eggs, i get my water in a rolling boil, add a big dash of salt , slip eggs intopan and cook until done (I want mine DONE) so i boil them 10 mins. pour off hot water, add cold water and a hand full of ice.let cool, and peel, i lose very little the whites cooking them this way.and the way i fix pickled eggs, beets or any thing else, after we eat the sweet pickles, i save the vinegar and just add what ever i want to pickle and let it set for about a week, cheap.

Mother to 12 RIR,1 pitt bull,1 poodle mix,1 yorkie,1 great dane,and 1 crabby gray cat

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your friends RIR's must have a deficient diet if the eggs aren't good.

8. pickled eggs

pickled eggs New Egg

Feb 23, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the recipesÂ…I never have used beet juice, but I will give it a try.
    My friend did say that the RIR eggs were the best eggs he has ever fried. So maybe they are too fresh when he boils them. Thanks again for your input.

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    if you let them sit for a couple days they will peel better.

i heard people using salt and oil to help peel as well

10. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    I find my americana eggs easier to peel then store bought. But one thing I noticed is that mine have so much more yolk and almost not enough white to cover it. What would cause this? Not a big problem unless you are trying to do deviled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by