Hard boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SaraChristine, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SaraChristine

SaraChristine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Edgerton
    So I keep hearing (reading) about people feeding their chickens hard boiled eggs. I've always been opposed to it (Just a me thing, it just seems weird to me) but I'm wondering if maybe I should give my chickens some every now and then for extra protein?

Are there any negative effects that can occur from feeding them cooked eggs/ smashed egg shells?

Any tips are appreciated greatly!

Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I feed extra eggs (when I have them) back to the chickens for the animal protein source, and to make use of them. Many people on BYC feed their shells back to them. I feed them scrambled instead of hard boiled, simply because to me it is easier, but I don't think it matters. I have also read of old timers throwing very soiled eggs on the ground so they will break and the chickens will eat them.

3. SaraChristine

SaraChristine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Edgerton
    Okay! Thank you for the advice! I'm really squeemish with bugs so I'm trying to avoid crickets, or mealworms (Even though my husband has a pet tarantula and usually has a few extra crickets around the house.)

I just worry about whether or not they're getting enough protein during the winter. Surprisingly, our egg production hasn't gone down at all this winter! We haven't done any extra heat sources or lighting. I hope that means we're doing something right! I love our chickens so I want them to be healthy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by