Hard Boiled

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anthonyjames, Feb 6, 2011.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I don't boil eggs all that often but ever since I started raising hens I have yet to peel an egg without half the white coming off or the shells sticking to the eggs. Is there any tricks or aging that should be kept in mind when boiling eggs?

2. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Happens all the time to my mom when she uses fresh eggs! She keeps a doz in the fridge for about a month before she uses them. Works alot better!

3. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Start eggs in room temp water with tsp of salt and a tsp of oil. Bring to full boil. Immediately turn off heat and cover eggs for 20 minutes. Drain water and add ice to cool. Egg shells will come right off.

4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:==========
    I do that too. I mark the 18-count carton "boiling eggs" and kinda keep track, boiling 3 at a time, and replacing them.

None of the other tricks worked for me. Plus I have a high altitude (Colorado).

Good luck!

5. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I boil eggs fresh...keep my eggs room temperature on counter, I have found that this is the most important step, when I used eggs out of fridge they did NOT peel well.

1~bring eggs to room temperature if not using fresh
    2~ bring water to a boil
    3~lower eggs into boiling water and boil for 11 minutes..
    4~immediately put boiled eggs into ice cold water
    5~peel super easily and enjoy!

found these tips from someone on BYC and it works every time!!

6. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    nelgkel, do you poke a hole in the air cell prior to boiling? I will have to try your method next time.

After boiling the egg I poke a hole in the air cell and blow into it hard trying to separate the inner membrane from the shell. Then I rolled the egg in my hands cracking the shell and blow into it again. I can hear the separation. It helped some.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I put them I to an bowl of ice water and then after a few minuted crack them to let the water penetrate under the shell and skin. Then it peels right off.[​IMG]

8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Same thing was posted earlier lol. All you really need to do is run cold water over the eggs for a few minutes.

9. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    In fact, I hard boiled a dozen today after reading the earlier post. I pulled the eggs right out of the fridge, used no oil, or salt. After boiling, I immediately run them under cold tap water. They all peeled very easily, as always.

10. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yea, I know. Guess I'm just a little bored. Not a football fan.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by