Hard boiled

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by outskirts, May 12, 2008.

1. outskirts

outskirts Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2007
    I've had laying hens for about a year now and I four diferent breeds. When I make hard boiled eggs they wont come out ot the shell. I've been cooking for about 35 years and never had this problem before I had my own chickens. I always submerge the hot eggs in cold water and that has always seperated the shell from the egg . . . but not anymore.

Any Tips?

thanks ms

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Hi and welcome to the BYC!

This is a very common issue with fresh eggs. There are a lot of tricks and tips to address this problem, but from what I have read the most reliable for most people is to age the eggs about three weeks. This gets them in the same age ballpark as store eggs, and makes them easier to peel.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    THis has worked wonderful for us!

When boiling them add LOTS of salt to your water...Drain hot water and add ice cold water...crack them underwater and let them soak for a good 5 min. I also add a touch of olive oil as I'm peeling them...just a drop

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I bought an egg piercer from Amazon.com for $1.70 to poke a hole in the egg before you boil it and it works great! I can even peel eggs as fresh as today's![​IMG]

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    It's because they are fresh.
    Just leave them in the fridge out in the open NOT in a carten for about a week. should be no problem after that.

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    When they say put lots of salt in the water, they mean lots of salt. You will need to use between 1/4 cup and a 1/2 cup for the shells to come off easy. It really works. The eggs will NOT taste like salt, dont worry. I have done this several time with great success even if the egg was just layed that day.

7. outskirts

outskirts Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2007
    Thankyou to everybody that replied to my hardboiled problem. You are all very helpful.

ms

8. Princessferf

Princessferf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had always wondered about this, too. Thanks for the "tips and tricks" as always! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by