hard Bumps on face ~PICS Added~

kasey08

Aunt Kasey's Farm
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Scottsboro, AL
About 3 days ago it was raining and I noticed 2 of my chickens where wet. The next day they looked like they might have had a cold in there eyes? They where foaming(eyes) and there face had hard crusty bumps on it. That day I brought them in gave them a bath but still like that.2 days later they are alot better as there eyes are fine but still has some bumps. Anyone know what is wrong?

Last edited:
Sounds like fowl pox. Its carried by mosquitos. Every year I get Key west chickens, they usually have it. Mine has always been the dry kind and it goes away on its own.

Do you have any pics? that might be a bit more helpful.

I first thought of fowl pox as well. It is a viral disease. It usually just runs through the flock. If you only have a couple birds, you could use iodine to soothe the sores. Her is a link to a little bit more info about by bout with fowl pox.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=430429

Keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't progress to wet pox, which is inside the throat. That can do major damage.

Good luck

They are pretty much better. My pellet still has it a little her face is swollen. Will take pics of her tomorrow its getting dark here.

They are pretty much better. My pellet still has it a little her face is swollen. Will take pics of her tomorrow its getting dark here.

She looks pretty bad. She does have yellow around her beak.

52562_006.jpg

52562_dff.jpg

52562_zxs.jpg

Should I put her inside?

Back
Top Bottom