hard dark callous? under hen's wing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PaolaH1234, Feb 23, 2014.

1. PaolaH1234

PaolaH1234 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    Rutherfordton, NC
    Please help! I just found a hard callous looking thing under the wing of one of my girls. It reminds me of the callouses dogs get on their "elbows". Dark and scaly and crusty looking. I haven't been able to get a picture without my rooster attacking me... different thread... Anyway, anyone know of anything this could be and what I can do about it? None of my other hens have it, although I am treating them all for louse. Yuck. It is hard, no oozing or puss, and she doesn't seem to be bothered when I poke at it. She is otherwise fine, eats, drinks, clucks like normal. The horrid part is I am moving and need to relocated them to a new chicken home. The girls are supposed to be going tonight which is why I was giving them a little wipe bath. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that she looked like she was molting above her tail, lower back, and she is also our Rooster's favorite... could it be a callous from his "loving"? Any suggestions??? Thanks.... if I am able I will post a picture...

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    might be scab from injury ? hard to say

3. blondi61189

blondi61189 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Coventry Pa
    Hi did you figure out what this was? My one chick has two hard dark pimple like spot on the top of her wings that sounds a lot like your hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by