Hard duck food

HannahDolding

Songster
May 1, 2020
Fleet Hampshire, England
Does anyone know of any hard grain-sized foods that their ducks really love?
I want to teach my ducks to come when they called, I have a pretty solid method that has worked for all the pets I've tried it on (chickens, rabbits, budgies etc.) which is basically just a small tupperware with hard grain sized foods inside, and shake it like a maraca while shouting their species name. However they need to like the food, but I I've failed to find any hard foods that my ducks have shown any interest in, anyone got any suggestions? The more nutritious the better😉

Welcome to BYC!

I'd really hold off on any hard grains like wheat or corn, for now, overconsumption of it may lead to impaction in the digestive tract. It's important that the treats not be more than 10% of their diet, its also advised that you provide chick grit to help aid the gizzard in digestion. Mealworms and Pea's make great occasional healthy treats .

Welcome to BYC!

I'd really hold off on any hard grains like wheat or corn, for now, overconsumption of it may lead to impaction in the digestive tract. It's important that the treats not be more than 10% of their diet, its also advised that you provide chick grit to help aid the gizzard in digestion. Mealworms and Pea's make great occasional healthy treats .
Don't worry, the food is just used for the sound 99% of the time. I didn't actually mean grains, I used the phrase for a reference of the size and abundance.

For some reason my ducks really hate peas, I can't think why... I'll give meal worms a go though.

Mine actually love dry dog food Members mark Salmon an pea grain free. It is flat and small enough they won’t choke. I don’t feed it to my young ducks until they are at least 4 months old but they sure do love it. It’s a great motivator along with dried meal worms to get them to come when called.

Mine actually love dry dog food Members mark Salmon an pea grain free. It is flat and small enough they won’t choke. I don’t feed it to my young ducks until they are at least 4 months old but they sure do love it. It’s a great motivator along with dried meal worms to get them to come when called.
Interesting😄, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom