Hard Lesson Learned

d_rooster

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
North Augusta, SC
When I checked on my Silkie chicks tonight out in the brooder-coop with my broody hen, I counted and discovered that one chick was missing. In a panic I started digging through the hay suspecting the worse. I was worried that perhaps a rat or a snake had somehow gotten into the bottom of the coop and might have started picking the chicks off one at a time.

It turned out that the missing chick had fallen into a crevice between the bale of straw on which the nest sat and the wall of the brooder-coop. I'm not sure when it happened, but the chick probably got too cold and expired in the last 24 hours.
sad.png

I know it's all my fault for keeping things set up that way with the nest, especially after they had hatched out. A few days ago the gap was much smaller, but I imagine that the straw bale was drying and shrinking with the heat from the nearby heat lamp. As a result the crevice got ever so slightly larger over time.

To remove the crevice hazard, I temporarily removed the remaining chicks while I rearranged the brooder-coop setup. I removed the bale of straw with the hatching nest and much of the other loose straw and got everything to ground level in the brooder-coop. Now there are no more dangerous crevices or areas where chicks can get trapped. The little chick that was lost, unfortunately, was the one splash Silkie in the bunch. The rest of the chicks are white or blue(grey).

I feel terrible about not noticing the crevice issue sooner and losing that poor little chick this way. However, I've learned a very important lesson about the importance of brooding arrangements from this unfortunate incident.

My dad always said to me "in the wild it would happen, so dont feel bad".
Well I guess chickens are not "in the wild" but still, sometimes we learn and then we get better!!!
There will be more chicks for you to love!
smile.png
smile.png

Time will heal. Your are right...it is a lesson learned. Life is just that way. You will find joy in the watching the others grow. I am sorry and I know how it hurts.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I posted the description of what happened with my lost chick in hopes that it would prevent someone from making a similar mistake to mine.

Yes, I have the remaining chicks to enjoy with more eggs in the incubator to look forward to hatching. The remaining Silkies are cute as a button and I can't wait until they turn into big balls of fluff.

My next batch of chicks to hatch will be bantam Salmon Favorelles, if all goes as well as the last hatch. Then there should be some Welsummer eggs that are winding their way in the mail to me at the moment. So in the next two to four weeks I will be flush with chicks assuming a good proportion of them hatch.

So far, chickens are the best pets I have ever had. They live outside (except for when they are just hatched). They don't claw the furniture. They don't shed on the furniture. They don't eat the houseplants. They don't throw-up the houseplants they've eaten. They don't usually make noise in the middle of the night. They don't need a litter box that has to be cleaned everyday. The hens give back something tangible - tasty eggs.

Back
Top Bottom