Hard Molt/Cold Temps

Crack N' Egg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Flemington, NJ
My poor Wall-E (EE hen) is having a really hard molt this fall. The poor thing comes out of the coop, shakes herself and about feathers fly everywhere. She just started a few days ago and each day she's getting more 'nude'.
lol.png

Problem is the temps are starting to really dip. During the day it's 50's and at night it actually has been freezing. I closed the windows in the coop for night, but I almost think I saw her trembling this morning when she came out.

What do you guys do in situations like this?
idunno.gif
I'm assuming I'm going to have more girls start and continue to molt soon.

I have some pretty naked girls here and we have had high 30s a few nights and mornings. Mine seem to be taking it in stride. Just keep drafts off them in the coop and up their protein is what I am doing.

Thanks! I feel so bad! This is the first time that she walked out of the coop and shivered! She looks so pathetic!
hit.gif

I've also been scouring this site to find the best high protein treats for them. I've read about wet cat food, but then I've read that it's not good. So many confusing mixed reviews!!
barnie.gif

Crack N' Egg :

Thanks! I feel so bad! This is the first time that she walked out of the coop and shivered! She looks so pathetic!
hit.gif

I've also been scouring this site to find the best high protein treats for them. I've read about wet cat food, but then I've read that it's not good. So many confusing mixed reviews!!
barnie.gif

Moist cat food/dry cat food is just fine for molting birds, you don't feed it to them everyday, it's just a once a week or so thing. Scrambled eggs/boiled eggs, canned tuna in water, calf manna or pro manna. Black oiled sunflower seeds.

I have never lost a bird from feeding it any of the above in all these years when they are in molt.​

Back
Top Bottom