Hard Molt

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Naked from hard molt and getting to 27 degrees . I'll get some pics up in a few hours but she is about plucked clean. I read about the "molt" but dude she is NAKED !
I'm getting the heat lamp out and may even bring this girl inside. How long until she at lest gets some down back on?

its raining really hard the last few hour . I'll get picks up in a few hours but aart, she has nothing on, bare skin on 70% of the bird.
yes, 16-17 month odd.
I've had some bare backed birds over winter.
With that much bare skin tho, a heat lamp might be in order...IF you can make it safe.
Or might just let her sleep in a nest.
How is she acting...eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK?

I was out of town for four days. she started the morning i left.
My dad was turning them in and out . Its been 70/50 high/low degrees all week but 35-45mph winds 45/25 high low the next two days. I just took these and dropped some hot flock raiser mash on the ground.
photos don't show her bare butt and neck is mostly bare.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 17
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 16
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 16
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 12
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
LOL Well i stink at taking photos as her back and bottom are bare. the wings hine it. The heat lamp can go in front of a nest box easily. i will take a break from baking and do it soon. Maybe i can get a better pic. I have been making pie filling. cherry and apple pies are about ready to go in the oven. I got fresh apples for the orchard thanksgiving. I have to make cookies yet. oatmeal raisin , tollhouse, pecan sandies and lemon drop.

LOL Well i stink at taking photos as her back and bottom are bare. the wings hine it. The heat lamp can go in front of a nest box easily. i will take a break from baking and do it soon. Maybe i can get a better pic. I have been making pie filling. cherry and apple pies are about ready to go in the oven. I got fresh apples for the orchard thanksgiving. I have to make cookies yet. oatmeal raisin , tollhouse, pecan sandies and lemon drop.
#1. Please send cookies to me. LOL She looks like one of my WLH. But she's out in the coop in Maine. If your coop is well ventilated she's fine really. Bringing her inside MIGHT slow down the process of regaining feathers. IDK.

Feed higher protein. I feed 18% all year long. and scratch for calories. I picked my bird up the other day off the roost for her to get a drink and she was surprisingly warm bodied.

Naked from hard molt and getting to 27 degrees . I'll get some pics up in a few hours but she is about plucked clean. I read about the "molt" but dude she is NAKED !
I'm getting the heat lamp out and may even bring this girl inside. How long until she at lest gets some down back on?
I have a hen going through her first molt with current daytime temp 27. I left the Cozy Coop radiant heater on & she goes in & out of coop as she needs. Why do they molt in winter?

ok look, no feathers just dark skin and pink bottom.
heat lamp is next to a nest box. she will find if she needs as its by the roost as well.

Attachments

• m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 13
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14
  • m8.jpg
    m8.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Back