HARD Molting hen, pin feathers not opening at end

Thanks, will give it a shot
Have you ever seen them 2 inches long like that ? Just wondering if this is an oddity
Pretty close to that...never actually measured.
Did you know that the first joint of your finger is approx 1",
check it and see.

upload_2018-12-12_19-36-35.png

upload_2018-12-12_19-38-19.png

Those pics are like it except... twice as long and no opening on the end.
Knuckles, I think you mean the distal inter-phalangeal joint. From the tip to the 3rd joint. The 1st joint is where the palm and finger meet, proximal phalange.

@oldhenlikesdogs Yeah I was fine with leaving it alone but when it got to over 1.5 ", now 2" I got a bit nervous due to the temps in the Teens here

Those pics are like it except... twice as long and no opening on the end.
Knuckles, I think you mean the distal inter-phalangeal joint. From the tip to the 3rd joint. The 1st joint is where the palm and finger meet, proximal phalange.

@oldhenlikesdogs Yeah I was fine with leaving it alone but when it got to over 1.5 ", now 2" I got a bit nervous due to the temps in the Teens here
We have colder weather here in Wisconsin. This week it's warming up above freezing and I bet my hens will get done growing them feathers before it gets cold again.

proximal phalange, 3rd digit . Yup I knew that was about an inch but I always forget.
I do know that with my shoes on, that my one foot print is just shy of a foot long ;)
I usually rough measure the ground when I am trying to figure out how much room I need or have.

BTW, went out this evening with Warm mash for them. Grabbed naked Kate and a couple of the ends are starting to open up. I kind of rubbed a bunch on the back but that lasted all of a few seconds as Prissy Pecan (head hen) was not happy me holding on to Kate.
:confused:

They were happy for the warm mash . Tis 32 out today.......... and my DD mentioned the S word. :smack

Tomorrow I will wrap her up and see what the rest are doing. None of the other 3 molting are anywhere like this.
But I will post Pics for Future people so they know what it looks like.

Thanks all.

BTW @aart Nice Swirl print !

Back
Top Bottom