Hard poop encrusted on butt fluff, what should I do?

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
Our hen has had poop encrusted on her butt feathers for a few days now. (Her vent is not blocked!!) I tried to get it off with a warm/wet paper towel (like you would do for a chick with pasty butt), but the poop is just too hard. I put some salve on her vent because it seems irritated.
IMG_0784.jpeg

What should I do? I really don’t want to soak her butt because it’s really cold here and any warm water turns cold quick.
Is cutting the feathers an option here?

Our hen has had poop encrusted on her butt feathers for a few days now. (Her vent is not blocked!!) I tried to get it off with a warm/wet paper towel (like you would do for a chick with pasty butt), but the poop is just too hard. I put some salve on her vent because it seems irritated.
View attachment 3689360
What should I do? I really don’t want to soak her butt because it’s really cold here and any warm water turns cold quick.
Is cutting the feathers an option here?

You could bring her inside where it’s warmer and soak and then use a hair dryer to dry her off before putting her back outside.

Or you could try liquid coconut oil or baby oil to soften the poop and try to get it off.

Or just trim the feathers. Sometimes it’s the easiest way.

Also, I posted yesterday about my hen having trouble pooping; she also had poop on her feathers, but not as bad.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ying-to-poop-but-having-trouble-help.1604872/

Are the two issues related?

Is it the same chicken?

Feel the abdomen between keel bone and vent. It should be squishy. If it feels large, hard, distended, fluid filled, those are signs something is wrong. Feel your other hens for comparison. They can get messy bums when they have repro issues or ascites.

May also have an obstruction somewhere in the digestive tract. Hopefully the applesauce has been helping.

i just give my hens baths when they have poop balls stuck to their butt. They love the baths. I actually found this thread by searching on poopy butts because I wanted to see if there was anything else. But it seems pretty common and normal and I've had this with other chickens, so I'll just keep giving her a bath. With my other hens, it just went away as mysteriously as it started.

Back
Top Bottom