1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard shell & soft shell on same day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnaD, May 18, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Is this sort of thing common for a newly laying pullet? She just started the 13th of this month. Her eggs have been small, but she lays them around 9-10am. This afternoon she layed a soft shell this around 8pm also. Will this mean no egg tomorrow?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's from the same girl, and you don't have 2 of them working on laying?

3. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I'm sure. Only two are laying so far and they always put their eggs in the same spots. I watched her sitting on the first egg in the morning and then in the evening she was acting weird and half closing her eyes and squatting a bit. I was worried about how she was feeling when she started to push. Poo came out first and then out came an egg right in the grass where she stood.

4. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    yes that is common at least with my girls it was, when they are starting to lay this may happen a couple of times and yes it does mean no egg tomorrow, i have seen them lay the second soft shell egg before and it looks very painful for them so if you see a girl that is very reluctant to move has a very blank look on her face and if u see her with her tail pumping she may be laying a second egg. my girls never laid their second egg in the nesting boxes, they always laid them outside because they knew it was a bad egg. all it is is tomorrows egg coming out early, and it should fix itself when the hen gets on a regular schedule for laying her eggs, it shouldn't be anything to worry about unless if it happens very frequently.

5. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    She just layed another egg right on time this morning! It was small like last mornings egg, but a wee bit lop sided. It was normal in color and shell... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by