Hard small protrusions on egg--what are they?

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
Lately I've been finding one egg with small hard protrusions on the tip. They must be very uncomfortable for the hen to lay such an egg. See photo. Does anyone know what is going on and how can I help the hen laying these?
egg 100219.jpg

Lately I've been finding one egg with small hard protrusions on the tip. They must be very uncomfortable for the hen to lay such an egg. See photo. Does anyone know what is going on and how can I help the hen laying these?View attachment 1924003
Looks like calcium deposits meaning excess calcium in your girls diet. Either from her feed or if she's eating is supplemental from oyster shells. I see this in older hens as well. I have a 4 year old that has a few on her eggs at times but not as many as yours. If your giving her layer feed and oyster shell I would just do one or the other. If your only giving her layer feed maybe you should put her on a all flock and provide free oyster shell on the side

Could be too much calcium in diet, or just how that particular bird processes the calcium. I have/had several birds that regular have bumpy eggs.
Small end comes out last, to minimal 'discomfort'.
I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Back
Top Bottom