Hard spots on eggs

JonCountryBoy

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2019
I have noticed that the last few eggs I have gathered have these hard bumps on them. Is this normal? I just recently changed there food from chick food to layer food. Could this be the cause?
Thanks for any feedback or comments on this subject.
Jon

Perhaps.
How old are your birds.
The hard bumps are likely calcium deposits.
The birds are aprox 6.5 months old. Just the first of the bunch just started laying about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 chickens and only one is laying at the moment their all about 6.5 months old. Are these calcium deposits something I need to be concerned about? Is it from changing there food?

X2
It is of no concern. I've experienced it from time to time over the years. Hens never showed any ill effects as a result.
The uterus is sometimes a fickle creature. There's a lot going on in there, especially when birds first start laying.

I have seen them on my eggs, too, Jon, on my experienced layers' eggs, when I had not changed their feed. Until very recently, we had fed a layer feed for years and we would sometimes see these bumps. One of my hens seemed more prone to lay bumpy eggs than any of the others. Nothing to worrry about.

Back
Top Bottom