Hard Tumor, Clumped Feather Thing on Fern's Chest

Chicken Boo

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Glenn Dale, MD
Fern is a 1.5 year old EE. She molted really hard a couple of months ago and has all of her feather back now and looks beautiful. EXCEPT - she has had 2-3 feathers sticking out in the wrong directions on her chest for a couple of weeks. Last night I had an opportunity to pick her up and smooth out her feathers. Under her feathers she has a hard "growth" on her chest with the feathers sticking out of it.

It is ~3/4" long, 1/2" wide. It is hard and she did not seem to mind my digging a finger nail into it (did not penetrate much and nothing came off). I moved it around and that did not bother her either. I tried to get a good look at it but it is well covered with feathers.

I am wondering if she has a bunch of feathers matted together or a bunch that did not grow in right. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Otherwise, she is eating and drinking and acting normally.

I was tempted to just take a pair of scissors to it and see what was underneath. If it is just matted/glumped feathers, this cannot be good for her skin underneath.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
Chicken Boo

pop.gif

I'd try bathing her in warm water with a tiny bit of mild soap--if it's a clump of mud or something, it should soften and break apart. It it's fleshy, it could hurt her to cut it off! Good luck!

I agree with bathing her or at least the portion near the clump. Finding out of it's a cyst or ingrown feather or just dirt would be the first step in figuring out how to treat her.

Quote:
x2 get someone to help you. They generally enjoy sitting in a pan or sink of warm water after you've got them settled in. I think the area will be easier to investigate if it's wet. Plus, if it's build-up, the warm water will help soften it...

I have been out of town helping my grandmother who just got out of the hospital.

I brought Fern in tonight and got a really good look at what is under her feathers. It in not an impacted crop. She has a huge lump (~1.5" out from her chest). It is multi-colored and has featherless parts to it. It appears to be a tumor of some kind and not "clumped feathers" like I was hoping.

Anyone know of a bird vet in Maryland?

Back
Top Bottom