Hard wire kennel

That looks like it once was a dog pen type with a chain link fence that got repurposed using chicken wire. You could go right over the top of that chicken wire with the 1/2" hardware cloth if the frame and door are strong. It sounds like they aren't, and you might have to start over.

You can attach it with plastic zip strips that are cheap, and use a good sharp side-cutters/dykes to cut it. I would go floor to ceiling with it. It comes in different lengths and widths so just pick which works best.

I agree with covering it with hardware cloth but skip the zip ties, unless you're using steel zip ties. The hardware cloth is only as secure as the attachments you use to hold it together, so it should be attached to both existing wire mesh and the frame, either "sewn" into place with wire or attached with hog rings, J clips, etc.

I got that pen at first myself. The wire isn't strong (very thin plastic coated wire) the poles bend easily, and definitely won't hold up to weather or heavy predators. I used it as I was rushed into taking 7 adult chickens. I totally agree, you need something stronger, especially with coons around. I don't have that issue, but the weather tore mine apart, so I had to redo it.
So the framing is ok its just the wiring i need to put hard wire instead right? Thats what you suggest ?

Back
Top Bottom