Hardware cloth around the perimeter...

txkittykat

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
Arlington, TX
(For the area just on the outside of the coop/run area)

Is it absolutely necessary to do this? Is 12" really necessary and are there any alternatives??

Last edited:
You can use welded wire fencing 1x2 or smaller. I personally use electric fence to keep the predators out. I have a 72 inch 3/4 chicken wire with 3 strands of electric wire one about 3 inches from the bottom another 2 feet up and the third 3 inches above the top.

It's a good idea to do it as it will keep predators from walking up to the run and digging under. I went out 24" out all the way around a 10x20 run, but I wanted to make really sure nothing dug under. I guess you could use patio blocks/bricks as well, but the hardware cloth is nice because the grass will grow up through it and you won't see it eventually. I also used landscaping staples to hold the wire down flat so I can mow over it. This is a pic of what I did...what you can't see is there's also a 24" strip inside the run, next to the coop, to prevent a digger from coming in via underneath the coop. That portion is stapled to the bottom of the coop and extends into the run, then covered by gravel and pdz.

I agree with cacique500,s advice depending on the size of the run. what I did not ask was the size of the run you were building. The one I have is 28x56 with an open top and a couple of trees for shade that is why I use the electric fence.

Of course you have alternatives. You could do nothing and hope you don’t get a digging predator. A lot of people never have and never will. Some of us have had digging predators though. Can you guess how hard your heart starts beating when you see a possum in the coop when you are locking them up? Definitely an adrenaline rush. Or find a skunk walking around in the run after dark?

The bottom of your run can make a difference too. If it does not go all the way to the ground in spots raccoons, skunks, possums, and other critters can sometimes just squeeze through without digging at all. It’s surprising how small a crack they can get through. You are more at risk if the bottom of your run doesn’t go all the way to the ground.

A lot of us go with 1x2 welded wire instead of hardware cloth. Some small things can get through but 2x4 wire will stop anything substantial. It will also stop the chickens from digging under your fence when they are dustbathing.

Many people do not put aprons around their runs and never have a problem. Some people that don’t lose their flocks. It’s a personal decision. How important are your chickens to you and what is your risk tolerance? I can’t answer that for you. I also cannot tell you if you will ever lose a chicken or not whichever way you go. No one really can. But I have an apron now.

Good luck!

Of course you have alternatives. You could do nothing and hope you don’t get a digging predator. A lot of people never have and never will. Some of us have had digging predators though. Can you guess how hard your heart starts beating when you see a possum in the coop when you are locking them up? Definitely an adrenaline rush. Or find a skunk walking around in the run after dark?

The bottom of your run can make a difference too. If it does not go all the way to the ground in spots raccoons, skunks, possums, and other critters can sometimes just squeeze through without digging at all. It’s surprising how small a crack they can get through. You are more at risk if the bottom of your run doesn’t go all the way to the ground.

A lot of us go with 1x2 welded wire instead of hardware cloth. Some small things can get through but 2x4 wire will stop anything substantial. It will also stop the chickens from digging under your fence when they are dustbathing.

Many people do not put aprons around their runs and never have a problem. Some people that don’t lose their flocks. It’s a personal decision. How important are your chickens to you and what is your risk tolerance? I can’t answer that for you. I also cannot tell you if you will ever lose a chicken or not whichever way you go. No one really can. But I have an apron now.

Good luck!

We plan on the run running along the ground. We have opossums, skunks, coyotes, skunks and armadillos (at least that's all the roadkill we've seen in our area). We'll probably line the edges with pavers, on top of the 1x2 wire to be safe

Last edited:
I agree with cacique500,s advice depending on the size of the run.  what I did not ask was the size of the run you were building.  The one I have is 28x56 with an open top and a couple of trees for shade that is why I use the electric fence.

Run will probably be 4×8 or 4×6

Back
Top Bottom