Hardware cloth floor

Zinmaker

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I'm using 1/2 inch hardware cloth as the floor of my chicken coop, my original thought was the poop would go through the cloth and down onto the dirt 3 feet below, then rake out the poop every once in a while. This worked fine when my hens were little chicks. Now the 1/2 inch hardware cloth does not seem to be big enough or the poop is too big, and gets stuck and piles up on the hardware cloth, and have to scrape the poop out with a shovel every few days especially under there roosting area. If I replace the hardware cloth with something with a larger grid, will that work for my purpose or should I convert to a solid floor, where I see many with a scrap of linoleum as a flooring surface.

I have linoleum in my 3 coops. I read about the drop bins, but it was never practical for me to build. I can see how the adult poo would build up, though. If you'd replace it with larger wire, is there a way to keep the chickens from walking on it and getting a toe or foot stuck? Will larger wire allow predators access inside (I'm thinking rats in particular)?

I'd probably have to suggest a solid floor with linoleum. I use the deep litter method with shavings and clean it out twice a year. Depending on your flock size and setup, you might consider a shelf under the roost that is covered with slick material like linoleum that can be cleaned of daily or weekly. Scrap it into a bucket and dispose before it has a chance to build up.

Thanks,

Think I'm going to read more about the deep litter method. I do have to worry about Rats, I've seen some dropping on top of the coop, so I know they are around, also have seen some digging from outside of the coop area into the coop and under the 2 inch welded wire I have under the dirt could be from a rat or something small. The coop is next to a creek so I've done what I can with predator proofing the coop. Thanks for your reply.

Solid floor. You can make clean up easier by putting a poop board or tray right under the roost, though.

If you tried wire with larger spacing, you'd still get some poo stuck on the wire, it would be hard on the chickens' feet, and you'd be introducing a real predator risk, depending on your coop setup. I've heard from people who have had the toes and feet of birds in raised cages bitten clear off. If the openings are big enough for poo to go through, they're big enough for feet to hang out and for predators to grab in.

I have had a lot of satisfaction using half inch by one inch wire similar to that used in rabbit cages as a flooring in my coops in the past.The poop will fall through and you can put a plank or whatever inside if you need a solid floor.

I'm in the process of refurbishing a shed with three walls and a roof and NO floor. Its about 8' by 8' and slopes from about 5'8 to about 5' in the back. I am in a area with summers that don't get too hot (say 90max cept the few steamy days) and winters never get below 30. Don't see much snow. And the rain isn't too bad cept I live on a hill. So I decided to do the open air concept. Keeping in mind I have a small budget. I plan on doing the deep litter concept and don't want to use a floor in my coop. But that means major improvements on predator proofing, drainage and insulation for night and weather. Finally after weeks of sleepless night and much research I came to this conclusion:
*Hardware Cloth 1/4" trenched 1ft deep around border of coop and run.
*Chicken Wire 1/4" across coop floor and staple nailed to 2 by 4 baseboards.
*Hardware Cloth 1/4" on top of (above) chicken wire inside coop/shed.
*Gravel 3" over top of chicken wire and hardware cloth (above) (for drainage in low area).
*Sand 2" over top of the gravel (above)
*Deep litter mixture (not sure what yet)

The Run:
*8 by 8 and 4 ft high sloped to 5'8.
*If it becomes muddy I will do the gravel in the run.
*Hardware cloth on the ground
Not sure of the rest yet!!!

Any thoughts????? New to this!

I'm using 1/2 inch hardware cloth as the floor of my chicken coop, my original thought was the poop would go through the cloth and down onto the dirt 3 feet below, then rake out the poop every once in a while. This worked fine when my hens were little chicks. Now the 1/2 inch hardware cloth does not seem to be big enough or the poop is too big, and gets stuck and piles up on the hardware cloth, and have to scrape the poop out with a shovel every few days especially under there roosting area. If I replace the hardware cloth with something with a larger grid, will that work for my purpose or should I convert to a solid floor, where I see many with a scrap of linoleum as a flooring surface.

I heard the hardware cloth will hurt their feet. I am looking for small piece of vinyl/linoleum and then fill with sand. Have you consider using the poop board?

Back
Top Bottom