Hardware cloth for predator apron

ChickensInMission

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Hello,

I am planning on putting in a predator apron around my coop to help with security. I have read about different approaches on here and will likely lay and secure the cloth out on the ground around the perimeter of the coop instead of burying it. My question I see that most people talk a lot about using 16 gauge half inch by one inch but at this time all I can find is 19 gauge and wonder if that will be strong enough?

Thanks!

Here is a different opinion. Don't use hardware cloth. Use 1" x 2" - 14 gauge welded wire.

An apron lives in a hostile environment. Putting it on the ground......which means it will get buried, means constant ground contact, so corrosion and rust will be a lot worse than the same product hanging in the air. Go with the heavy stuff. It will last longer and protect better.

Thank you. Not sure if I will be able to find that or not but will keep an eye out. I figured it will get somewhat buried over time but just wasn't planning on digging a proper trench before placing it down.

When I did mine, I used a lawnmower to scalp the grass down to nearly bare dirt. That way, the apron was flat on the soil's surface....not floating up in the grass somewhere. Within a week or so, the grass had grown back and the apron basically disappeared from view......out of the way, but still very much there and doing it's job. So not buried from the get go, but laying just on the surface.....and partially buries itself over time.

Back
Top Bottom