Hardware cloth or Poultry wire for protection?

Quote:
True, electric fencing is really great if done properly. I'd still use at least netting over the run for raptors if you have no roof.

We however, live in the suburbs and want to prevent rats in my coop as well (and discourage them from thinking we have put out an all-you-can-eat buffet for their dining pleasure) so we are using all 1/2" hardware cloth. Even our run will have a solid roof. It has to look quite nice too as we have lots of backyard BBQ's and our friends already think we are a bit nuts to have chickens
hu.gif
. It is expensive but the price we decided to pay for those reasons. It's a personal choice for you to make to suit your needs.

Quote:
True, electric fencing is really great if done properly. I'd still use at least netting over the run for raptors if you have no roof.

We however, live in the suburbs and want to prevent rats in my coop as well (and discourage them from thinking we have put out an all-you-can-eat buffet for their dining pleasure) so we are using all 1/2" hardware cloth. Even our run will have a solid roof. It has to look quite nice too as we have lots of backyard BBQ's and our friends already think we are a bit nuts to have chickens
hu.gif
. It is expensive but the price we decided to pay for those reasons. It's a personal choice for you to make to suit your needs.

I agree with your coop is your personnal choice. My post was not meant to inhibit anyone's choice.

Even with hardware cloth, and a roof, I would install a fence charger. My experience with predators is not good, I have been pillaged several times years back. Mink and coons mostly, once a feral dog. But the one thing I learned is predators are persistant, a coon will attempt to enter you coop/run as long as he is not scared off. In those hours a strong persistant predator can find a way into Fort Knox. I chose to discourage them as soon as they aproach the coop/run, they hit the charged wire, they are gone. Not left to climb, dig or paw at the wire. Any predator who is allowed to continue to try to enter will eventually enter. It may take a month, but they are persistant.

26449_dsc01041.jpg

26449_dsc011301.jpg

Maybe this will give you an other Idea. the roofing tin is in the ground with ceder post on both sided then covered up. Then three rows of electric wire on the out side. Even where the door is. Can't run them in the corner and reach through. If they try to dig they get zaped. You can put the chin link fence above that. You could use something heavy duty if you can find it. Just an other way to look at things. Good luck

Sorry to persist, still need to know where to find 16 guage wire. I'm in San Diego and can only find 19 guage. We have bobcats, cougars, coyotes and the smaller predators so I really need the stronger stuff.

I just picked up 19ga. hardware cloth to completely wrap the sides, do the top, and install a 2'apron on a 10'x20' kennel yesterday. Total cost was $275.70+tax. To have bought the same amount in 16ga. would have been $1130.00+tax. Even with the heavy predator load that I have here including bobcats and yotes, I couldn't justify the difference in cost. I will be extending my electric fence to surround this kennel also.

Just in case you have never installed 16ga., make sure you have plenty of help, some good cutters, and wear gloves. That stuff is very heavy and stiff. I helped a friend cover his outdoor bird aviary with 16ga. a few years ago and it was a nightmare. You will have to be very patient with it.

good luck,
Marty

I had a hard time find the 14 g wire as well - found it at OSH (Orchard Supply). They had a surprisingly good selection of welded wire fabric at really fair prices. (I had checked extensively on-line and even gone to a fencing manufacturer).

Back
Top Bottom