Hardware cloth over window

Final thoughts for my location and predators @cdahl383 did a great job. I know I didn't manage to square HW cloth better for sure on my first coop. Kudos from South Texas. :frow

That hardware cloth isn’t the easiest stuff to work with! Never used it before. I measured everything a few times and it turned out pretty good.

I may add some ventson the sides as most people seem to agree the coop is lacking in ventilation.

I have tons of screws, washers, bolts, nuts, etc in the garage, so I just used that stuff. I don’t really see where a package of screws or washers is that much money. But putting some wood over it would be a good idea.
Hehe go to HD today and buy their 1/2 inch washers:) Then you see how offensive that is for securing your HC at $.50 per washer they are just gouging. The prices there and at Lowes are "fixed" and offensive like a skinny 25cent bamboo pole for 3 bucks but you can buy the cheap cedar fence planks for 1.50 what gives?

Regardless, well done now get that other window covered and open:p Also, if you don't have an angle grinder I suggest a cheap 15 dollar Harbor Freight one as with livestock there will be more projects in your future.

They slice hc and fencing like butter.

Last edited:
Hehe go to HD today and buy their 1/2 inch washers:) Then you see how offensive that is for securing your HC at $.50 per washer they are just gouging. The prices there and at Lowes are "fixed" and offensive like a skinny 25cent bamboo pole for 3 bucks but you can buy the cheap cedar fence planks for 1.50 what gives?

Regardless, well done now get that other window covered and open:p Also, if you don't have an angle grinder I suggest a cheap 15 dollar Harbor Freight one as with livestock there will be more projects in your future.

They slice hc and fencing like butter.

Oh I see, so they jacked their prices up recently then.

Thats the plan, get the other window done later this week. I may add some vents later this summer too to the man door and above the coop door.

I just used a pair of snips to cut the hardware cloth but an angle grinder would be much faster. What would you use to cut holes in the plywood for additional vents? I have a lot of tools for working on cars but not much for carpentry type jobs. Need to get a couple saws soon.

Oh I see, so they jacked their prices up recently then.

Thats the plan, get the other window done later this week. I may add some vents later this summer too to the man door and above the coop door.

I just used a pair of snips to cut the hardware cloth but an angle grinder would be much faster. What would you use to cut holes in the plywood for additional vents? I have a lot of tools for working on cars but not much for carpentry type jobs. Need to get a couple saws soon.
I usually dismount and remount any cutting required by the circular saw. So nothing special there. Regarding carpentry skills I claim none=) I just get it done with the tools at hand. My results might suck to an outside observer, but at least it will last 10+ years. A cheap Harbor Freight sawzall is my backup and naturally a chainsaw for fencepost work. I do need a 12 inch circular table saw still but not pulling the trigger on that yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-areal-defence-system.1362116/#post-22451620 is an example of my modifications on an existing structure modified as needed for hens. So just because I am mouthy do not assume I am a pro:gigAs an aside we need ventilation like crazy here it would get to 150F inside that thing when I first started rebuilding it.

Last edited:
We have the same coop! I’ve been debating how to do the windows. Thank you so much for posting this! That’s a perfect solution! ❤️ With the side vents and the reflective insulation in the roof we should be fine ventilation wise. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom